New to the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everone. Iv been snuffing around these forums for a while now and ive decided to join here. i found this place from clubgp.com and i find this place interesting. I do also have an oil question.
The car is a 99 gp gt, the non supercharged 3.8
thumbsdown.gif
. Anywase, right now i am using quakerstate peak performance oil, and the quaker oil filter. Whats everones opinion on this oil, and should i switch to anything else? the car is reghularly driven up to 4,000 rpms, but the car is not driven to osften. it only hhas 60,000 km of the odo. i change the oil every 3-4 months. am i doing everything good, or what should i change? i was also thinking about doing an oil analysis down the road.

thanks for the help

Read up. I think you'll find there are probably better options.
grin.gif

I use Mobil 1 and a Purolator filter in my 3800.

-T

welcome.gif

Nothing wrong with the 3800, even the non supercharged version
smile.gif
its a pretty solid engine.

I personally am not a big fan of Quaker State oils, but that's just me. Do a search, you'll find a wealth of info on oil choices.

Nothing wrong with the 3800, even the non supercharged version its a pretty solid engine

nope, shes a solid engine, but being blown would always be better
burnout.gif
gr_stretch.gif

so i take it quakerstate isnt all that great? ive been hearing decent things about the wallymart synthetic tech2000 oil on this site. i think i might give that a shot.

anymore advice would be awsome

I think the quaker state filter is a fram. Practically anything else would be better.

Hehe I agree, being blown is awesome, I couldnt just settle for my LT1, had to supercharge it! If price is an issue and you wouldn't mind buying in bulk, go with Schaeffer's synth blend. Great oils that last long and perform as good as full synthetics and if you buy $250 worth you get free shipping.

The PF-47 and PF-52 AC-Delco Filter for that engine is one of the few Delphi filters (Most of the others are Champion). Most prefer the Champion Design.

If you want a extra 0.5 QT of oil capacity the PF-52 fits. WalMart SuperTech ST-3980 is a Champion in the PF-52 Size I believe.

For Dino I like the Chevron/Havoline Twins in 10W30 (Dino 5W30 tends to shear). Very good oil often available at less than a buck a QT.

For a Synthetic Blend the 5W-30 Motorcraft might be the best buy on the market. $1.42 at Wal-Mart (You have to read the back of the bottle to tell its a blend).

3800 Series II tends to like a thicker oil than most. Perhaps the best buy on the market is the Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (Group III). It is under $12.00 a gallon at WalMart. Dont be put off buy the fact that it is a Diesel/Fleet oil. The MaxLife type oils are basically a Diesel Type Additive Pkg in a Group II+ with a little Group V thrown in.

If you want to spend the Big Bucks there is the Mobil Delvac 1 (Gallon Jugs) and Mobil 1 Truck and SUV (QT) 5W-40 (Goup IV/V) Synthetic but it is up around $5.00 QT. These are the same oil in different packages.

And of course there is the infamous German Castrol Syntec 0W30 ACEA A3 Group IV/V (European Formula for the Long Extended Drains) for around $5.00 QT. It is very close to being a 40 Weight.

If it was my coin I would go with:

Chevron/Havoline 10W-30 5000 mi drains.

Motorcraft 5W-30 7500 mi drains.

Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 10000 mi drains.

This assumes you get a fair amount of Highway trips.

My first choice would be the Rotella and I would change it out at 5000 ml on the first interval since it will likely do some major cleaning to the engine.

If you use the MC 5W30 you can just use the Oil Life Monitor in the car if you want.

I suggest using the ST-3980 for anything past 5000 ml as the extra filtration and 10% gain in capacity will be helpful.

It wouldnt hurt to do a UOA on any of the oils to assure they up to the task in your particular vehicle or driving style.

Didnt mean to right a novel. My family has just had lots of 3800's.

Gene

ya...thats the problem, the car sees almost no highway use, and short city trips. sometimes the cra stays in the car-hold (garage) for 2-3 days before its used. ill be lucky if i put down 10,000km in a year.

i think i will do some oil analyses to see hwta my engine is doing, and to check for a potential coolant leak.

back to the oil, with doin such little trips is a good quality dino the way to go, or a decent synthetic? also, your saying i should go with a 40 wt oil as opposed to the 30 wt? just curios as to why?

quote:

Originally posted by roman:
ya...thats the problem, the car sees almost no highway use, and short city trips. sometimes the cra stays in the car-hold (garage) for 2-3 days before its used. ill be lucky if i put down 10,000km in a year.

i think i will do some oil analyses to see hwta my engine is doing, and to check for a potential coolant leak.

back to the oil, with doin such little trips is a good quality dino the way to go, or a decent synthetic? also, your saying i should go with a 40 wt oil as opposed to the 30 wt? just curios as to why?

You are in the USA right? The Wallyworld oil made me think so. Car-Hold made me think not.

Okay just deduced you are Canada. Let us rethink the options. What are the common oil and filter brands available to you?

As to the 5W-40 it is a very well built oil and these 3800 Series II engines seem to like a bit heavier oil than average. However I am not sure they are the best choice in Canada as the oil temp may not get warm enough on those short trips to take advantage of them in the winter.

I am not sure who makes the Canada Spec WalMart SuperTech Oil and Filters. They may not be the same as the USA Stuff.

I know Petro-Canada 5W-40 Synthetic used to be highly regarded (Not Sure if it remains the same spec) but I am not certain about their other products.

Gene

[ June 23, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Lots of great UOA with Havoline/Chevron 10w30 in these engines. I don't think I'd look further than that.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Lots of great UOA with Havoline/Chevron 10w30 in these engines. I don't think I'd look further than that.

-T

T-Keith that is actually what we are using in our 3800 at the current time with 6 month / 4500 ml drains, 80% City / 20% Highway.

If he is in Canada though will the 10W30 Dino be sufficient for his winter weather? Your climate is closer to his than ours. Our average late January low is only -2C (30F).

Gene

In Canada, Walmart does not have Super-tech products. We do not get anything but Fram and Defense oil filters
mad.gif
. They pulled Delco last year.

Also, the in house oil is called "Tech 2000"

quote:

Originally posted by Audioquest:
In Canada, Walmart does not have Super-tech products. We do not get anything but Fram and Defense oil filters
mad.gif
. They pulled Delco last year.

Also, the in house oil is called "Tech 2000"

For filter I suggest anything that crosses to a PF-52 and is not built by Fram. If it is built by Champion I prefer this filter on this engine.

Oils: if you can get 10W30 (Summer) and 5W30 (Winter) Chevron/Texaco Cheap use these and do 6 mo changes.

Maybe PATMAN cam help us with relative prices and Wallyworld formulations in Canada.

Assuming he is in Canada.

Gene

I'm really not 100% sure who supplies Walmart Canada with their oil. I know it's listed as being from Safety Kleen, but I believe they just do the repackaging, but the actual oil is rumored to be from Petro Canada.

As mentioned, Walmart does not sell the Supertech oil filter up here unfortunately. I had a friend of mine pick me up two Supertech filters for my mom's Probe GT, but now she's going to be getting another car soon. That also sucks because now I won't get to see how the Walmart Tech 2000 0w30 Synthetic is doing in her car either.
frown.gif

I put 120,000 miles on my company car, Pontiac GP with the 3800. Pennzoil 10W30 with 5,000 mile changes.

My bosses daughter has his old company GP with the 3800. It now has 225,000 miles on it and has had nothing but Quaker State 10W30 in it.

I live in Wisconsin and he lives in upper Michigan. No problems in cold weather.

Oh, the Quaker State filters are made by Purolator, not FRAM.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:

The QS filters in Canada are either still made by Fram, or we've simply got a ton of the older stock leftover, because when I look at the QS filters up here in Canadian Tire, they are definitely Fram made units.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
I put 120,000 miles on my company car, Pontiac GP with the 3800. Pennzoil 10W30 with 5,000 mile changes.

My bosses daughter has his old company GP with the 3800. It now has 225,000 miles on it and has had nothing but Quaker State 10W30 in it.

I live in Wisconsin and he lives in upper Michigan. No problems in cold weather.

These engines last so long that as long as you keep the oil changed at a reasonable interval and your not racing it, they will outlast the car.

BTW. I'm picking up a 210k mile 3.8 this weekend.
wink.gif

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back