New to the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, i'm visiting from the pelican parts porsche forum. First i'd like to say thank you to all the donators. Secondly i don't know very much about oil, not really my field of study. I'm trying to understand more about oils and make a good concise decision on which to use. My main decision is whether to use Mobil 1 or Amsoil in my 911, or even to stick with mineral oil? Now, myself just like anyother 911 owner, doesn't baby the car, we DRIVE the car hard in case that helps.

MikeL
welcome.gif
, use analysis and do some reading here on the subject. Oil analysis will take the guess work out of the marketing crapola.

If you race or AutoX use a high quality syn. If not use at least a 12cSt @ 100C blend or dino racing oil.

Redline 10w-40 for periodic racing is a good oil to start with and the Schaeffers 15w-40 blend is a good reasonable cost street oil for that engine.

I have a few racers that use the Amsoil 0w-30 for AutoX racing to get a bit of a edge but they change it often. A thicker vis is needed for longer road racing runs.

VP racing fuels has a promising VPRS 10w-40 to consider too that is in the 13cSt range and 100% ester based.

Happy lube learning here !

welcome.gif
Owning a 911 would make me become an oil expert fast. Awesome car but the repairs on those things scares me
shocked.gif
Terry gives the best advise on this board. He is one of our resident experts. I do remember reading that 40 was the perferded weight for air cooled engines.

Ok, well let me try and flip this question around then. Generally, all the mechs, techs, and porsche freaks run nothing but 50w. Whether it's 15-50 or 20-50. What i'm trying to figure out is what's good, mobil 1 is treated like it's an elixer. But yet many 944 owner's that race at the track usually have to refresh/rebuild bearings to prevent the bearings from spinning. 911 engines don't have that problem luckily but i just can't help thinking that mobil 1 isn't cracked up to what they think it is.

BTW TR3, 911's rarely break unless you get one from an abusive owner. Very well made and very strong cars. As far as expense, that depends on whether you can turn your own wrench or not.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MikeL:
OK, sorry for the frequent posts, but i read through this site and now i have a better organized question. My requirement from an oil in the 911 motor are as follows, car's driven hard (no surprise), need's to be good at tranfering heat since oil cooling is second most important to that motor, and withstand decent heat since the heads can range in heat between 250-350 degrees and the oil comes in contact with them. I'm thinking the s2000 series amsoil just because i keep reading or being told that redline is overkill. Anyone be willing to educate me?

Well-based on what Terry said (and he is knowledgeable -to say the least) - A 12 cSt. oil is a heavy 30 wt. So to be sure a 40 wt. oil would be a good choice. I think the Amsoil 40 wt would be a fine choice-as would Delvac 1 5W-40. As was suggested the Schaeffer's Blend is about equal to a Synthetic oil. Is Redline overkill?? Who knows??It has a tone of Moly and for normal driving it probably is overkill. But for your individual requirement maybe-maybe not.

A used oil analysis would be the best indicator of whether your engine/driving habits matches your oil choice. Oil Analysis

Here's some information on Schaeffer's Blend

Some other alternatives could be 0W-40 Mobil 1 or a 50/50 mix of Mobil 1 10W-30 and 15W-50. But all in all take Terry's advice above-you can't go wrong with that.
smile.gif

quote:

What does cST mean?

It stands for centistokes, it's a measurement used in the viscosity of an oil. If you look at the spec sheet for an oil, they'll give you the viscosity at 40C and 100C, as expressed in centistokes. A 30wt oil will have a viscosity of somewhere between 9.3 to 12.5 cst at 100C for example.

OK, sorry for the frequent posts, but i read through this site and now i have a better organized question. My requirement from an oil in the 911 motor are as follows, car's driven hard (no surprise), need's to be good at tranfering heat since oil cooling is second most important to that motor, and withstand decent heat since the heads can range in heat between 250-350 degrees and the oil comes in contact with them. I'm thinking the s2000 series amsoil just because i keep reading or being told that redline is overkill. Anyone be willing to educate me?

quote:

I'm certainly not one of the experts here but if I had a car like that I don't think I'd worry about using an oil that may be considered "overkill". Given the way you use the car and the type of car it is, spending a bit more than what may be considered sufficient, is sort of cheap insurance.

Mikep
BTW...Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back