New to the board, Can my engine be cleaned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking around the board here for nearly 4 months... I LOVE THIS BOARD!
worshippy.gif

I have an 86 BMW 325e with a FILTHY 262k engine!
freak2.gif

The previous owner said he changed the oil every 6k, looks more like 10k to me, What do you think?
I'm sure he used the cheapest dino juice he could possibly find.

I have been very interested in Diesel oils and Auto-RX to attempt to clean this mess. First, Do you think it can even been cleaned?
My compression #'s aren't perfect, but the car runs wonderfully! I have been using Mobil 1 15w-50 since I got it about 30k ago, It uses around one quart every 4300 miles. I finally took the plunge and bought some Auto-RX.

I changed the oil & filter (Castrol GTX 20-50, OEM Mahle filter), Added 4.5 quarts of oil and a full bottle of Auto-RX. I'm currently 950 miles into it and the oil still looks like new.
confused.gif
I plan to use Chevron Supreme 20-50 for the rinse cycle and repeat. Does that sound reasonable?
-Doug

-
 -

Looks almost as bad as my 740 Turbo with around 300000kms, same sort of deal, the previous owner was obviously just really lax with oil changes and quality oil, it was a right mess.

Mine has already come a long way by simply using semi-synthetics with good cleaning properties and doing oil changes at half intervals for a while, but it's still coming out black after 4 or so changes.

I may try some RX though if it's still looking bad next oil change, maybe, I'm still undecided.

I have an 87 Nissan Sentra that I use for a beater that looked almost that bad. I'm currently about 800 miles into my first AutoRX cleaning and when I look down the oil filler hole the results are amazing. The car was my mother-in-laws and had virtually no maintenance (maybe 5-6 dino oil changes in 97,000 miles). We inherited it when she died, so I was going to sell or donate it. But, it runs like a top now and the AutoRX has made a big difference so I'm going to keep it around for a spare and to run up miles to work on.

Once I'm done I plan to use the AutoRX in my 92 300ZX and my wifes 1996 Cherokee. My 2000 Wrangler only has 60,000 on it so it will be a while before it gets the treatment.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
doesn't look that bad to me.
dunno.gif

I tend to agree. There is a lot of discoloration, but little actual sludge. My F150 has similar discoloration, but large areas of rough surfaced black stuff (presumably sludge). Wonder if he is picking up any sludge bits in the filter? I get some pinhead sized sludge bits in my filter media. Am 350 miles into my first ARx treatment.

I think the two bottle Auto-RX treatment is for you. You will see good results. Nice clear pictures. Maybe you can do the 2 bottle treatment and then take new pictures at the same position, and repost side by side comparision pictures?

I also agree, looks OK! The oil comes out dark during oil changes has very little to do with anything, that's normal it doesn't mean the oil is finished either. If your that worried run another bottle of auto-rx and then switch to your favorite. She's running good for a reason. After this next cleaning or before take a sample and send it to Blackstone labs and ask for a Terry Dyson analysis. He will be able to tell you just where you stand with this engine. Good luck dude.
cheers.gif

welcome.gif

Nice car. What does BMW recommend for the 1986 model?

I would go ahead with the 2 bottle treatment (hi miles) but looking at the pictures, I have no reason to doubt he did 6K oil changes.

IMHO the main cleaning (positive) effect of AutoRx is at the rings and grooves...yes it may take a double clean, but you will feel a difference. Please note that MOST cleaning is not the first treat...but more like the RINSE phases and the second treat. Interesting stuff I tell you.

my 89 legend engine looked similar on one bank of the v6 and was much lighter colored on the other bank.

Seems like a trend of the late 80s and early 90s engines running on dino have this discoloration. Could be what was deposited by those "ancient" oils. I used to follow the 3/3 rule and it also didn't stop the discoloration. So I do believe he did do the 6k mile change.

Are you kidding? For 262k, that's pretty darn good! There's no sludge that I can see, just varnish, which will cause little if any harm, even if you just leave it.

From what others have said, the RX will clean it up nicely. Expect most of the varnish to come off during the rinse cycle, not the cleaning cycle. From the pictures I've seen, you can't always expect perfection, especially on such a high-mileage engine, but it will clean it significantly.

If that engine was really dirty, you won't see cams, rockers, & bolts. You'd see black mud.

The high mileage Auto-Rx treatment will work well.

Ken

quote:

Mine has already come a long way by simply using semi-synthetics with good cleaning properties and doing oil changes at half intervals for a while, but it's still coming out black after 4 or so changes.

Bishop,
What semi-synthetics have you been using?

quote:

Originally posted by Marius:

quote:

Bishop,
What semi-synthetics have you been using?

Currently I'm using Penrite 10, but I have been using Penrite oils for years now, they clean like a full synthetic, last well, and compare well price wise with the big name brands here.

Install a bypass filter and your engine will be clean as long as you change the filter regularly. Examples of bypass filters are the Amsoil, Frantz, and Trasko. Plenty of people put these on classic cars to keep their engines top notch. With a Frants all you need to purchase every 2-4k miles is some Scott 1000 toilet paper. I got mine on sale for 50 cents a roll couple weeks ago. Just check out the bypass filter forums

>Hate to mention it, but toilet paper is >specifically formulated to dissolve in water.

Huh. Then why does the Army/Navy/Air force use them and why did the government post an article on bypass filters in which they claim Frantz did well in the MEEP test?

There is nothing wrong with that cyl head! It is not dirty. It has discoloration but it looks clean! The engine has brass color to it since day one. It is not dirty. Open a Dodge Caravan motor and you will see a dirty engine but this BMW is clean.

OCI's no longer matter to my princess 325e
frown.gif

It was 5 AM and I decided I was going to head out to the beach to watch the sunrise, so I made the 25 mile trip to a beach right off PCH. I slowed from 55 to 15 MPH, entered the parking lot and made a right into a parking space. I applied hit the brake to come to a stop but the pedal went right to the floor!!!! Before I knew it I went over the edge straight down into the dried brush on the beach.

I shut the engine off and sat for a second trying to figure out what had just happened. I tried to open my door but couldn't because of all the brush around the car. So now I'm sitting slanting forward in the dark trying to figure out how to get out of my car when I noticed something in my mirror... FIRE!!!! I saw fire from the left rear of the car! At this point I'm panicking, kicking the doors trying to get out when I look up at my sunroof. I opened the roof and climbed out onto hood. Now the fire is picking up, smoke is everywhere and I'm ripping and stomping trying to get out of the dried brush in front of the car. Finally I get onto the beach and RUN!

I ran back to the highway to try to flag down a passing car. After four cars passed me, one finally stopped and called 911.
The fire department put out the fire while the police took my report.
I was fine with only a few cuts and required no ambulance.
My car was loaded on a flatbed and I was given a business card with an address where my car would be towed.

I finally got home around 7 AM still in shock about what just happened. I got all my information together and sat for a moment thinking about HOW this happened. Weeks earlier while sitting at a stop light my brake pedal slowly got softer and softer. I kept applying pressure until the pedal hit the floor. At the next stop it was perfect, No problem at all. I drove another 1500 miles with no problems until now. I have come to the conclusion my brake booster failed when I was pulling into the parking spot causing this whole mess.
The fire, well, hot exhaust/engine + dried brush = FIRE!

I have coverage on the car and have spoken with my insurance company. Someone will be contacting my to take another report and to move the car to another lot. It's a total loss (Duh!), they'll probably give me around $900 for it.

I cannot tell you how... "Empty" I feel without my E in the garage.
I also had a ton of stuff in it such as:
a Garmin GPS Navigation unit,
$250 in the glove box,
Two of my Bentley manuals - E30 - E34,
Lots of papers, oils, waxes, polishes, nearly 100 CD's,
and tons more I haven't thought of.

Rest in peace my dear E….

-
 -
 -
 -
 -