New to the board, Can my engine be cleaned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
frown.gif

What are you going to replace it with?

Boy that's a real shame. It was a nice car, too.

BTW, I would say it was probably your master cylinder that failed. A bad booster will cause the pedal to get rock hard, whereas a bad MC will do exactly what you experienced. Your symptoms were classic. That first soft pedal was the warning shot before it failed completely.

Oh well, water under the bridge. Good luck finding a replacement.

In my opinion for that mileage and age you have a relatively clean motor. If you see black deposits of mud than your dirty. I would try the product others have recommended Auto-RX but have no personal experience. A valve train at that mileage/age and appearance would not worry me whatsoever.

Wow, tough break man, it's harsh to loose a car after investing time and money into it.

I'm a little surprised by how many people consider those original pics to look normal though, to me that's showing signs of poor quality oil and perhaps running hot at some stage, neither of which is good, but I guess I just have a higher expectation of what an engine should look like with that sort of mileage.

If it's any consolation at least it died really quickly! If it hadn't caught fire you'd have winched it out and worried about bent suspension parts, frame, etc... could never have been the same.

I get a side ache from laughing when I hear about toilet paper dissolving in water when in use as a bypass filter. Once the paper is saturated with oil how is the toilet paper going to absorb water ? The same as a full flow is not needed with a bypass filter ,ruins any credability about engines.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
I get a side ache from laughing when I hear about toilet paper dissolving in water when in use as a bypass filter. Once the paper is saturated with oil how is the toilet paper going to absorb water ? The same as a full flow is not needed with a bypass filter ,ruins any credability about engines.

-

I have pointed that out at least once. Some people aren't going to let a troublesome fact get in the way of their opinion.

The "troublesome fact" in this case is that used motor oil may contain up to several percent of water (refer to the used oil analysis section). Engine failures were seen in the 50's when the TP dissolved and clogged the oil passages. Filters that use their own filter paper which does not dissolve in water seem to be fine.

Sorry to hear about your bad break. Have you replaced the car yet? If so, what did you get. I have sold cars that I wish I could get back. Almost everyone one of them, with the exception of the '89 Chevy truck 4 X 4. Boy was that a lemon. Anyway, I never lost one the way you did. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Man, I am sorry indeed to see that series of pics!

But anyway, if you want to see SLUDGE you should see what the engine of my Studebaker looked like when I first got it. I *should* have taken pics but I didn't. It was an original 24K mile car but looked to have been run on non-detergent (and probably short trips) the whole time. I manually removed a whole mess of crap from the heads and have been running Rotella at silly short OCIs trying to clean it up. It's working - every time I change the filter the old one weighs about 2-3x as much as the new one. Agh!

I wouldn't worry about the engine in that Bimmer, but apparently that's a moot point now.
frown.gif

nate

A dose of perspective: All that really matters is that you got out of there alive. Ironically, at about the same time your car took its fatal plunge, I was way up in Oregon assisting in the investigation and clean up after two of our F-18s collided up over the Columbia river. Two of the three crewmembers (dash-2 was a two-seater) involved were lost, and will never be going home to their families. As daunting as it may seem, you can replace your cool car. The same cannot be said of you. Count your blessings.

Holy cow, I'm glad you are OK, forget the car! Imagine if you had been knocked out...

Hope ins. treats you well and handles it quick!

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back