New to Site - Looking for Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I've been lurking on this site for awhile and am looking for some recommendations on oil to use on my '95 Saturn SL1 SOHC motor. I've been using 5w-30 oil, most recently Mobil Drive Clean and a PureONE filter. I have 60k miles (bought at 45k), no oil consumption problems (piston rings were replaced) and I usually change the oil at 4k. I would like to fill with Mobil 1 on my next change, but I've seen so many recommendations on different weights of oil for Saturns, I'm confused. I want to use synthetic mainly for -20F starts when I'm in North Dakota (my saturn is slow to turn over at those temps), and maybe extend the drain (possibly to 6k-7k), get a little better fuel economy, and help a light knock noticeable at idle when warm. What weight is going to work best during winter and summer, not necesarily both seasons. I've heard everything from 0W-30 in winter to 15W-50 in summer.

FrozenPilot,

welcome.gif

If you are committed to using M1 (and I'm not questioning your choice by saying it that way), I think you should use 5W30 winter and 10W30 summer. I believe you could safely get 6-7K drains with the 10W30 but I would recommend no more than 5K with the 5W30 (unless you are driving predominantly highway miles). I just don't like going that long with that particular version of M1.

[ August 10, 2003, 02:42 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back