New To Oil Analysis. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTC

How much oil do I need to capture for an oil analysis? What do you suggest putting the oil in? Where do you send it? How much does it typically cost?

I've been running Amsoil S2K 0W-30 all winter in my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 and I'm kinda curious how it held up. It has a tad over 8,000 miles on it and I just don't feel comfortable going any further right now. I'm in Michigan currently and the winters are pretty harsh.

Thanks in advance.

I will say one thing, it doesn't appear to have burned a drop. Not sure if that's a testament to the oil, my engine or both.

BTC, ( good to see you are timing right!)

Check out the oil analysis site supporters tab on the home page of BITOG.

You need a clinically clean sample bottle preferably plastic. 8 ounces to be safe and have enough remaining to rerun if the lab messes up. You can buy the cheapo bottles at Walmart to send oil but the labs kits are safer and more durable. Our in house kit is a postage paid protective mailer.

Our tests in- house or the Blackstone labs co-op kit are both $35. Both of those include my "read".

Both are very comprehensive, cheaper tests will produce less data to interpret.

Both Amsoil and Schaeffers, and our Mobil site supporter offer kits, contact one of those site supporters for more info.

I will interpret any labs existing analysis for $20 each.

Terry

When I did my 1st UOA, I ordered the Blackstone kit using the link on this site. I got the kit with instructions in about 10 days. I was very satisfied with the package and later analysis.

This was just my experience. There are many other good options.

BTC: From my personal experience I find the Blackstone analysis with evaluation by Terry Dyson more than worth it. You'll get more than you pay for. My suggestion is to contact Blackstone for their free sample collection kit. When You send in a sample ask for the analysis with interpretation (evaluation) by Terry Dyson. You cannot go wrong.

Got my oil changed yesterday and had them capture a pint in some little rubbermaid container that I bought. I hope that container hasn't contaminated the sample. Is there a timeframe in which the analysis needs to be done, or is at my leisure acceptable?

Is the Terry in this thread the Terry from Blackstone labs? Sounds like this site is now offering it's own analysis. Is that correct?

Just wanted to bump this up.

Is there a particular timeframe that an oil needs to be analyzed after it's drained, or can you do it whenever?

BTC, sending the sample ASAP is preferable so we do not have oxidation and microcorrosion continue development while in the sealed clean plastic container that you should use. Cool dry dark storage is preferred as sunlight will affect the oil too.

If I know how old the sample is I can "read" through some of mishandling and do that frequently for forensics work.

I own a oil analysis consulting firm and sub contract the lab work out to compete.

The agreement with BKLabs is cooperative, I do not work for them.

See my add here under oil analysis site supporter for more info on our services to BITOG members .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back