New to me truck. Need oil reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0L 66k miles

The truck has original mileage on it and was owned by an elderly man who drove it basically never and he then sold it to a lady who bought it as a back up to her daily driver for a couple years. I will be picking it up tomorrow from her and I know that it had a recent oil change from a quick change place.

I am thinking of running Castrol Edge 5w20 and a Fram TG2 when the time comes to change it again. What do you guys think? This will be an "around the house truck mostly with a few 100+ mile round trip drives a month.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NavyVet88
2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0L 66k miles

The truck has original mileage on it and was owned by an elderly man who drove it basically never and he then sold it to a lady who bought it as a back up to her daily driver for a couple years. I will be picking it up tomorrow from her and I know that it had a recent oil change from a quick change place.

I am thinking of running Castrol Edge 5w20 and a Fram TG2 when the time comes to change it again. What you guys think?

I would run 5W30 because that engine wasn't made to run on 5W20. The 5W20 may not hurt it but i wouldn't that the chance.

Dually noted. I had considered running 5w30 mainly because of the heat here in Alabama right now.

I like puralator one or Mobil filters.
Run what is recommended

Last edited:
I had a truck with that engine that saw 3k PYB until I got it at 75k, then saw Valvoline Durablend. Even with these frequent OCI it burned oil. I would use Maxlife 5w 30 or 40.

My 2005 3.0L that IS spec'd for 5w-20 at 85K miles is perfectly happy with SuperTech Syn 5w-30 and a Motorcraft filter all from WM. I bought it new and it lived on vanilla M1 5w-20 until around 50K miles. Then it was vanilla M1 5w-30 until about a month ago. Very happy with the SuperTech. Always Motorcraft filters from WM.

This sounds like a nice, lightly used, low-mileage, small truck. Enjoy.

I second the recommendation for whatever 5W-30 oil makes you happy. For me and for the price, QSUD 5W-30 fits the bill. It's $17.97 at Walmart on-line for this full-syn. I have also found syn-blend Chevron Supreme 5W-30 to be excellent as well. Supreme has a great additive pack. Supreme is $12.42 at Walmart on-line. It could be ordered and delivered to your nearest Wally World for counter pickup. It's hard to beat at that price...

Moreover, Walmart will have the applicable Fram XG3600 or TG3600 filters in that store's oil section as well. Both of these filters have a excellent reputation. Of course, they could be ordered and waiting at Wally World's counter as well, I suppose.

Good luck and enjoy the truck.

QSUD.JPG

Supreme.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys and as always you guys are the best!

CRAP! Edit: it's a 3.0L not a 4.0L

Last edited:
Yeah, the Cologne V6 4.0L was always 5W-30. Anything you run in it by a major oil company will be fine. Personally I'd use a syn like Pennzoil Plat or Mobil 1 on rebate. A 0W-30 would also work fine, but as a winter oil...

I had considered running 5w30 mainly because of the heat here in Alabama right now.

10W-30 Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

Yeah that's my bad guys, it is in fact a 3.0L not a 4.0L. I don't know why in the world I typed 4.0L

With it being a 3.0L, would 5w20 be fine or should I still consider 5w30?

Thanks for the info guys and as always you guys are the best!

CRAP! Edit: it's a 3.0L not a 4.0L

The Fram XG3600 or TG3600 filters still apply to that engine. I still like my engine oil choices, but Linctex's QSUD 10W-30 would work well, too. Whether it's a 5W or a 10W in an ultimate 30-weight when the oil is hot, your little truck isn't going to know the difference.

Technically, there's likely fewer viscosity index improvers in the mentioned QSUD 10W-30, as in most 10W-30 oils as compared to a similar 5W-30. This could help with oil stabilization over a drain interval. Personally, I don't believe a 5W oil is needed in Alabama, if that's where you're at. In my Wisconsin and Alaska, a 5W is most definitely needed!

Stick with a 10W-30 or a 5W-30! Do not lower yourself to a 20-weight.

Last edited:
I've seen 3.0 Vulcans that have lasted a long time on 5w20 and 30wts.

Oil isn't usually what kills these engines. Usually a head gasket failure or broken valve spring is the death or repair that needs to be made to these later in life

That said I like QSUD 5w30 in your situation. Congrats on the new to you truck

Yeah that's my bad guys, it is in fact a 3.0L not a 4.0L. I don't know why in the world I typed 4.0L

With it being a 3.0L, would 5w20 be fine or should I still consider 5w30?

The 5W-20 would be fine. In fact, I'd do it as a baseline, if you're using any oil then bump it up to 5W-30...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back