New to me Stihl FS 111 R - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how fate works... I was just using my favorite trimmer yesterday
smirk2.gif
and had to shut it off to fix things 3 times in 20 minutes
mad.gif
. I said to myself "this is the last year I put up with this wretched junk." It's a Troy-Bilt $99 Walmart special from like 4 years ago. I decided to start saving for a Stihl 4 stroke.

I went to visit some distant family members later on. I was griping about my trimmer and said I am going to start saving for a Stihl. His eyebrow raised and said to follow him to the garage. Sure enough, he had one. So of course I have to play with it. It was a 2-cycle, but was SWEET! Well, one thing led to another and he was saying he wanted a 4 stroke as well. This was his incentive to upgrade. He just gave me his Stihl FS 111 R trimmer. No clue on age, maintenance history, or hours used (I didn't think to ask, I was too mesmerized at the situation. I will the next time I see him). I already downloaded the instruction manual and will read over it when I get time, but any pointers in the meantime? Just by skimming the manual, it calls for 89 octane (weird
21.gif
) and a 50:1 mix.

Are Stihl trimmers picky about anything? Do I need to buy premium 2-cycle oil or just the 99 cent specials from Ace? And is the 89 octane really a requirement? I don't mind even paying for 91 if it prefers it, I'm just wondering how to truly get 89+ octane in just a gallon of gas in a can (without spending extra and filling my car with 5+ gallons beforehand). The pumps can take up to 5 gallons before dispensing the correct octane. Regardless, any input is appreciated!

Use the fancy oil it will make you feel better and use the proper gas it will make you feel better. 2 stroke trimmers are the way to go.

Good snag.
I like the 2 strokes better weigh less and seem to have more power when used right. Some say the 4 strokes have more low throttle power but who want to go slow anyways. Definitely better than the electrics. Any oil/gas combo will work great. Probably can download the manual. Just make sure to use the correct ratio oil/gas mix.

Originally Posted by tony1679
I already downloaded the instruction manual and will read over it when I get time, but any pointers in the meantime? Just by skimming the manual, it calls for 89 octane (weird
21.gif
) and a 50:1 mix.

Not weird. Adding the 2-stroke oil brings down the octane a bit, so 89 not 87 is recommended.

Since your instruction manual came out, Stihl has introduced a new, smaller silver colored bottle of 2-stroke oil. The mix on that is less than 1:50, but it is still safe and tested for your motor. It burns very clean.

I recommend only ethanol-free gasoline for 2-stroke motors, if not then only fresh gasoline. If it sat over the winter, it's not fresh. The issue is how quickly the Ethanol absorbs atmospheric water and then phase separates.

Go two stroke and good oil. I have old Mobil 1 2T oil that was the darling here a decade ago, but also some stihl ultra, bought to extend warranty.

My stihl, echo and husqvarna trimmers and blowers are not picky. I do add a splash of fuel stabilizer.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Are Stihl trimmers picky about anything? Do I need to buy premium 2-cycle oil or just the 99 cent specials from Ace?

The full synthetic STIHL oil in the silver bottle is the way to go. It's expensive but it keeps the engine so much cleaner inside because it burns so clean. In the long run you'll have a happier engine. Royal Purple 2-cyle oil would be a cheaper option.

I have an fs-104? I think. I purchased it new 5 summers ago. It always runs smoother on premium 91 octane gas. I also use the stihl 2 stroke oil ive also used a full synthetic from home depot.

yes. I use premium fuel, and good oil, in all my 2 strokes, and the current crop of 4 stroke trimmers needs more advancing - imho.

Last edited:
Royal Purple synthetic 2 cycle oil, at a 40:1 ratio not 50:1. 50:1 is only spec'd to make the EPA happy at the expense of engine wear. If you use cheap generic oil, 30:1 would be better. Stihl oil or any equipment manufacturer branded oil for that matter, is usually an overpriced ripoff. It does not cost more to print a label with Stihl's name on it than any other names the same oil is sold under. On the other hand anything can go on sale, but least often it's the equipment branded supplies.

Last edited:
Only use Stihl 2 cycle oil. And always use enthanol free gas. the alternative is to use premix. But NEVER use ethanol blended gas. Not even the 10% stuff. If you do, it will eventually cost you a carburetor. Trust me on this.

My string trimmer, leaf blower, and chain saw are all Stihl. I've been very happy with them. But I have learned that that they don't like other brands of 2 cycle oil. Even name brand stuff, such as Echo. Use the Stihl HP ULtra stuff. Your trimmer will reward you by running better.

Well, definitely 91 octane E-0 (was going to do this anyway), and I'll have to look further into oils but it sounds like Stihl ftw. Interesting. I'll report back after doing some homework. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

I have 5 gallon cans I use for no alcohol premium. When they get filled I go to the service station and first put 1 gallon in the truck, to purge the residual alcohol in the hose. Then top up boat, motorcycle, antique lawnboy my trimmer and my blower.

Never an issue doing this.

Do any trimmers or blowers sold in the USA have catalytic converters yet

Rod

Last edited:
Certified Stihl technician here. Totally stick with Stihl HP Ultra synthetic 2-stroke oil - compared to other cheaper oils, the residue and carbon buildup from the silver bottle Stihl oil is much less. At my 2-day Stihl tech certification class, they actually went through torn down 2-strokes, each ran only with Stihl HP Ultra, Stihl Conventional, Off-brand syn, off brand conventional oil. The difference was there.

89 octane is recommended for a reason, any 2-stroke oil will knock the octane rating down 1-2 points. I assume it's a Walbro carb in that model/age. When storing it for the winter, run it dry of the pump gas, then buy a quart of the premix 50:1 trufuel, Motomix, RedArmor, etc ethanol free gas in a can, and fill the tank with that, run it for a few mins to get it in the carb, and you're good to go for next year. No ethanol to break down your fuel lines, diagphram, etc.

Congrats and good luck!

Originally Posted by Dave9
Royal Purple synthetic 2 cycle oil, at a 40:1 ratio not 50:1. 50:1 is only spec'd to make the EPA happy at the expense of engine wear. If you use cheap generic oil, 30:1 would be better. Stihl oil or any equipment manufacturer branded oil for that matter, is usually an overpriced ripoff. It does not cost more to print a label with Stihl's name on it than any other names the same oil is sold under. On the other hand anything can go on sale, but least often it's the equipment branded supplies.

Try to find full synthetic 2-cycle oil. There's not that many options. And 50:1 is what STIHL recommends.

2strokes...especially high revolving loves octanes...the higher the octane number...the smoorher they will run (especially @WOT)...

Put stale gasoline (from a previous season) in them...and they will be PITA to start...I usually burn stale gasoline in low compression OPE equipement like B&S 4stroke lawnmover....lower compression engines care less regarding octane numbers...

Regarding 2stroke oils....JASO FD...if it tend to be synthetic its even better...

The 111r, and the 80 that I have, are four-stroke engines, not two-stroke.

They run the fuel-air mix thru the *crankcase*, which is why they use a gas/oil mix.

It's a pretty ingenious design.

How much gas will you use? I like premix as I only use a few quarts between all 2 cycle OPE.

I went with a Milwaukee M18 cordless trimmer when my old Sears conked out for good.

So far have cordless weed whacker and hedge trimmer and blower and small chainsaw. All work fine, as well as 2 cycle.

Have 2 cycle backpack blower and 20" chainsaw.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
The 111r, and the 80 that I have, are four-stroke engines, not two-stroke.

That makes it even more important to run the Stihl Ultra. It was specifically formulated to minimize valve deposits in these engines.

Ed

Originally Posted by edhackett

That makes it even more important to run the Stihl Ultra. It was specifically formulated to minimize valve deposits in these engines.

Ed

Why? Is there any "higher" standard than JASO FD/ API TC+ TiSi ISO L-EGD etc...?

Regarding higher octane gasoline....do we know what is compression ratio of that particular engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back