New to me Honda FC600 tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 4 year old ex-rental Honda FC600 mid-tine tiller with a GX160 powering it. It appeared to be in fairly good shape, and started/engaged easily in the rental shop. Being a former rental, I'm pretty sure that it's been ragged on some. It didn't appear to have an excessive amount of hours or abuse based on wear and condition. I'm planning on turning under my garden this fall, and tilling mine and a few neighbors'/co-workers' gardens in the spring. So maybe 8-10 hours of use a year on it, if that.

I'm planning on dosing the fuel with red Sta-Bil and likely do oil changes every other year with synthetic 5w-30 since that's always on hand. I'd like to swap a synchromesh into the drive unit. That apparently takes 10w-30 motor oil, and the synchromesh should offer better protection than motor oil. That's my thinking, at least. Any other thoughts or ideas for areas to address?

Can't think of much. Maybe a fresh plug and filter. They are pretty cheap items any way. got Any pics
smile.gif

Last edited:
The most important thing is changing out the drive unit stuff.

I rememeber renting one and overworking it so the oil was boiling out of the drive seals.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Can't think of much. Maybe a fresh plug and filter. They are pretty cheap items any way. got Any pics
smile.gif

The shop selling it said they'd change the fluids, plug, and filter before I picked it up.

I'll definitely check out the drive unit. The soil around here is clay, so the machines work hard to till it.

Picked it up today, and it runs like a champ. It makes quick work of the clay soil around me. My whole garden would likely take 40 minutes to till. The plug and air filter are both new, so I'm all set there. A shear pin did vibrate loose in transit, so it's time to run over to Sears for a new shear pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back