New to me Honda EU2000 Companion

Just picked up this genny from a pawn shop and looks like it had a hard life. Looks like it was used for construction. No hour meter and the oil was very black. I changed the oil with Honda 10w-30 power equipment oil, threw in a new NGK plug and cleaned and oiled both engine air filters. It starts first pull now and seems to run fine. Have E0 gas in tank. Anything I'm missing or need to address? Will be used in connection with my EU2000 for camping with my trailer

Clean the carb if you think it needs it and/or run a small dose of sort of fuel system cleaner.

Otherwise, I think you are good to go. Could be worth doing a couple of short drain intervals to clean it up a little.

EDIT: The manual calls for a valve adjustment at 1000 hours

The E0 gas in there is TruFuel which says on the bottle it has additives to clean carb/fuel system. The new oil already turned darkish brown after a few minutes running so I will change it again after a few more run cycles. This Genny will have a much easier life with much less use then with previous owner
I'll look into the valve adjustment

There really isn't much to do on these generators. Only oil changes and valve adjustments.
Odds are, a valve adjustment was probably never done on that unit. While you have it apart for the valves, you can clean up all the air shrouds and cooling fins. Check the pull cord for frays and replace if needed. clean the spark arrestor.

Those are good generators. I have a former rental unit that has 500+ hours on it. It runs perfectly.

They have an hour meter of sorts on them. Here's the description from the owners manual:

Output Indicator
The output indicator (green) is illuminated when the generator is
operating normally. It indicates that the generator is producing
electrical power at the receptacles.
In addition, the output indicator has a simplified hour meter function.
When you start the engine, the indicator blinks according to the
generator’s cumulative operating hours as follows:
• No blinks: 0–100 hours
• 1 blink: 100–200 hours
• 2 blinks: 200–300 hours
• 3 blinks: 300–400 hours
• 4 blinks: 400–500 hours
• 5 blinks: 500 or more hours

Check the valve lash now before its too late.

These things are a pain to pull apart when one burns.

Are these the same as the EU1000. I picked one up from a buddy who got it from his dads estate. Mine has the green light and a tuning fork type freq indicator. I have no idea how many hours are on it but it looks new and starts first pull. The little bugger is heavy though.

Edit: Sorry guys just looked and mine is an EX1000

Last edited:
There really isn't much to do on these generators. Only oil changes and valve adjustments.
Odds are, a valve adjustment was probably never done on that unit. While you have it apart for the valves, you can clean up all the air shrouds and cooling fins. Check the pull cord for frays and replace if needed. clean the spark arrestor.

I was going to mention pull cord as well. Last hurricane I had a few unhappy customers who went to start their generators and the pull cord snapped.

I agree, when adjusting the valves, replace the pull rope.

It’s a long way in them to replace a valve, I’ve done it.

Inspect the timing belt while the cover is off.

I’d also do a few oil changes on it as the capacity is pretty low.

Probably needs a new air filter, they kinda get rotten.

There's various good Youtube videos to show how to replace the timing belt on the Honda EU2000i and also the plastic governor at the bottom of the engine, fix surging idle, etc. All appear to be very doable by the average home handyman.

When you have the chance and about an hour (with Dremel or just break the ear off), tune at least the Pilot jet. 4-5 turns out is acceptable for most uses. What I did was break the ear off instead of Dremel. This left me the pilot sitting in there (the main part separates to prevent tampering) with little material to grab on and unscrew (bear with me and continue to read). With a small jewelers type flat head, I was able to rotate out. I then took my Dremel and made a very nice slot to adjust via a flat head. I then took some air hose tape (white fitting tape) on *back 2/3rds thread only* and carefully put it back in (you'll see what I mean as there is no tension on the pilot via a spring, so this is your only option). No issues moving in/out after a year's worth of traveling. I also bought and used various jets (main) from the dealer sites. You won't have to go that far to see a nice improvement.

Runs extremely well and clean enough for a full week at nearly 10k ft in the Sierra's. A decent amount cooler as well as many of you know these run on the fine edge of LEAN. This is the 2200, but your 2000 will be nearly the same.

Back