New to me car

Well I was going to fix the dart that was wrecked but the insurance then informed me it would receive a salvage title no matter what. Originally they said it wouldn’t get one but then they said it would. So I decided I didn’t want to put about $4,500 into a car that wouldn’t be worth much more than that after it was deemed salvaged. So I am letting it go. I ran across this yesterday and went and bought it today. It’s a 2012 90k miles with the turbo and a 6speed manual. Pretty clean little car. It was affordable should be a decent car for some time. I do not have any good pictures currently. But here is one.

Attachments

• 732AD7D0-C7B6-41CA-AA34-BCEBB7DBFA51.jpeg
    732AD7D0-C7B6-41CA-AA34-BCEBB7DBFA51.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 126
What in the world is that thing a Chevy? I sure hope not lol. And that sucks about the Dart I thought for sure it would be worth much more as new as it is.

I don't know much about the Sonic (when I hear the word I think of hedgehogs and drive-in restaurants!), but it looks like it would be a fun car. Change the fluids, put new tires on it if need be, and drive it!

Well I was going to fix the dart that was wrecked but the insurance then informed me it would receive a salvage title no matter what. Originally they said it wouldn’t get one but then they said it would.
Any vehicle that is totaled gets a salvage title? Sounds about right. Protects the future buyer.

Not sure I'd call the early 1.4T reliable but what issues there are(numerous) are known by now.

I'd imagine that should be a pretty fun car to drive being relatively lightweight with a manual transmission... like driving a gocart around if you put some UHP tires on it.

Always more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

What happened to the Civic Vs forte ?

Local gas station "got" an Insane Green Sonic for sale. They're in NJ and get Pennsylvania cars.
This one has a turbo and a CVT. I do like the body size and layout.
Hmmm...."turbo+CVT" has the same amount of letters and spaces as, "No thanks".

Any vehicle that is totaled gets a salvage title? Sounds about right. Protects the future buyer.

Not sure I'd call the early 1.4T reliable but what issues there are(numerous) are known by now.

I'd imagine that should be a pretty fun car to drive being relatively lightweight with a manual transmission... like driving a gocart around if you put some UHP tires on it.

Always more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

What happened to the Civic Vs forte ?

I think the laws vary by state. My ex wife got in a fender bender a few years ago in her pt cruiser and it was deemed totaled I bought it fixed it and sold it to my step dad and it never was branded because of its age. At first when I asked they said if I kept the dart it wouldn’t get a salvage title. Then next time it was discussed they said it would because of the age. So it must do with the age of the vehicle. But plenty of older cars that get wrecked and are deemed totaled do not get a salvage title.
kia vs civic I decided I didn’t want a car payment. That is really all that happened there.

The only thing that would make this better is if it was the NA 1.8 engine. sheds alot of complexity and issues for slightly worse fuel economy.
IIRC these had water pump issues and people were sometimes on their 3rd waterpump before 100k miles?

I can certainly understand no car payment. and it does fit your ask for advice then go off on another tangent style here :LOL:.

Maybe you can ask for a custom bitog title "Notorious for not following advice" or some other fun title :whistle:;)

We put 140k on a 2013 1.4T … it’s the plastic stuff that can crack but it’s cheap and easy to DIY. The valve cover is an all in one PCV disposed together. Oh, well … guess we do trans pans and filters that way too.
The engine never burned oil … ran mostly M1

The only thing that would make this better is if it was the NA 1.8 engine. sheds alot of complexity and issues for slightly worse fuel economy.
IIRC these had water pump issues and people were sometimes on their 3rd waterpump before 100k miles?

I can certainly understand no car payment. and it does fit your ask for advice then go off on another tangent style here :LOL:.

Maybe you can ask for a custom bitog title "Notorious for not following advice" or some other fun title :whistle:;)
None of that makes a lot of sense. Lol the 1.8 over the 1.4t? I’d rather enjoy my life than have a boat anchor for an engine.
As far as changing my mind. I thought about it and it seemed wise to have $300 extra dollars a months to play with and enjoy vs throwing it at a machine. 🤷🏼

None of that makes a lot of sense. Lol the 1.8 over the 1.4t? I’d rather enjoy my life than have a boat anchor for an engine.
As far as changing my mind. I thought about it and it seemed wise to have $300 extra dollars a months to play with and enjoy vs throwing it at a machine. 🤷🏼

I believe we've had a few members here with the Cruze that had that engine and they offloaded the car after issues like the ones Rand is describing, at least that's my recollection.

I think he's just poking fun at the fact that you have a long history of soliciting advice and then soundly ignoring it. I remember this well, because I participated in probably every single one of those threads ;)

Anyways, hope this one ends up being a joy to own.

I believe we've had a few members here with the Cruze that had that engine and they offloaded the car after issues like the ones Rand is describing, at least that's my recollection.

I think he's just poking fun at the fact that you have a long history of soliciting advice and then soundly ignoring it. I remember this well, because I participated in probably every single one of those threads ;)

Anyways, hope this one ends up being a joy to own.
Didn’t really see them or the Cruze in the shops needing much besides the thermostats water outlets and water pumps all of which is pretty easy stuff. As far as not listening. That seems perspective based in a way. Think back to when all the frugal folks would scream DONT GET A CAR PAYMENT. and all the other save money be frugal advice. I did listen to that. I decided I didn’t want to sign my life away for another 6 years or so on a new car and instead wanted to buy a cheaper car in cash. 🤷🏼 So I did kind of listen. I took that advice and passed up on the long car loan and the fancy new car. I think financially it was a good call. My friend has a Cruze with the same engine it’s been a good car for him.

Back