New to me car

Didn’t really see them or the Cruze in the shops needing much besides the thermostats water outlets and water pumps all of which is pretty easy stuff. As far as not listening. That seems perspective based in a way. Think back to when all the frugal folks would scream DONT GET A CAR PAYMENT. and all the other save money be frugal advice. I did listen to that. I decided I didn’t want to sign my life away for another 6 years or so on a new car and instead wanted to buy a cheaper car in cash. 🤷🏼 So I did kind of listen. I took that advice and passed up on the long car loan and the fancy new car. I think financially it was a good call. My friend has a Cruze with the same engine it’s been a good car for him.

I THINK it was poster pbm that had the Cruze that he offloaded?

I found this quote from him with a quick search:
pbm said:
I hope it really is 'fixed'. I purchased a brand new Cruze in 2011 and had it back to the dealer several times for coolant loss/ coolant odor issues....they denied there was an issue despite 200 pages of complaints for the same issue on Cruzetalk.com. They finally replaced the surge tank with no improvement. I traded it in on a new 2014 Focus and haven't regretted it. Cruzetalk.com had several different hypothesis as to what was causing the problem but nobody ever had it solved. I think it's just a bad design. PS: There was a class action lawsuit on this very issue.

I definitely understand the desire not to have a payment, just an observation that you didn't ask for feedback about this particular car before pulling the trigger, rather, you asked about other ones and then went a completely different direction :)

In case you want to read-up on the turbo replacement (which I suspect, if necessary, you'd be handling yourself) member @The Critic did one, as well as the coolant parts on the same engine in a Cruze:

Last edited:
I THINK it was poster pbm that had the Cruze that he offloaded?

I found this quote from him with a quick search:

I definitely understand the desire not to have a payment, just an observation that you didn't ask for feedback about this particular car before pulling the trigger, rather, you asked about other ones and then went a completely different direction :)

In case you want to read-up on the turbo replacement (which I suspect, if necessary, you'd be handling yourself) member @The Critic did one, as well as the coolant parts on the same engine in a Cruze:
Awesome stuff! Yeah I really wanted to get a new car but then I was like 6yrs of car payments ugh! And I saw this little thing and it just worked out. I will be buying a fun car in a coup months probably as well. So doing it this way I save the money and can buy a fun car for me . I don’t know what yet maybe a VW of sorts I am kind of fond of them. It’ll be a manual of course.😂😂😂

Awesome stuff! Yeah I really wanted to get a new car but then I was like 6yrs of car payments ugh! And I saw this little thing and it just worked out. I will be buying a fun car in a coup months probably as well. So doing it this way I save the money and can buy a fun car for me . I don’t know what yet maybe a VW of sorts I am kind of fond of them. It’ll be a manual of course.😂😂😂
Wait you are buying 2 cars instead of one new reliable one with a warranty to save money? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The 1.8 is same hp and 20less torque, less fun, if I was buying a 10 year old car I'd be going for reliable.
IE if I was buying a 10 year old jeep cherokee 10 years from now I'd go pentastar not hurricane.

And I was poking abit of fun at you making yet another thread about something then tearing off in another direction without asking advice.

I can see it you start a giant thread about snapon vs wright tools then decide on used craftsman.. but its all in fun. hope your car is reliable.
but a 9 year old chevy econobox with that 1.4t I'd say the odds are against you.

Wait you are buying 2 cars instead of one new reliable one with a warranty to save money? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The 1.8 is same hp and 20less torque, less fun, if I was buying a 10 year old car I'd be going for reliable.
IE if I was buying a 10 year old jeep cherokee 10 years from now I'd go pentastar not hurricane.

And I was poking abit of fun at you making yet another thread about something then tearing off in another direction without asking advice.

I can see it you start a giant thread about snapon vs wright tools then decide on used craftsman.. but its all in fun. hope your car is reliable.
but a 9 year old chevy econobox with that 1.4t I'd say the odds are against you.
It’s not really a Chevy..... except for the badge LOL.
I never saw many of them in the shop in the Cruze variant either. There are guys on the sonic forums with 250,000 plus miles. I think it’ll be decently reliable. It’s paid for that’s huge for me. And I’d buy another car purely for modding and playing with not to be a daily driver. It would strictly be a fun car.

Congrats on the new car, and not having a car payment! All you can do is make sure you are up to date on maintenance and drive on! I hope it serves you well. I see a few of these around town with failed clear coat. I would recommend staying on top of washing / “waxing” if your one to care about the finish.

What happened to the Mustang?
Sold it awhile back to my ex wife. (Kids mom) she didn’t have a good safe car so I sold it to her cheap so she had a decent safe car that I trusted. Then I used the money to buy the minivan since we had a baby. Miss that mustang. It was my fun car.... sigh.

Sold it awhile back to my ex wife. (Kids mom) she didn’t have a good safe car so I sold it to her cheap so she had a decent safe car that I trusted. Then I used the money to buy the minivan since we had a baby. Miss that mustang. It was my fun car.... sigh.
What about the golf?

Golf/Rabbit, same thing
Sold it but that was the one car I should have kept! We sold it because it was a 2door and it would be hard to get the baby car seat in an out. Kick myself in the ass for selling that car!

How is the refurbishment of the Ram coming?

That would be good to finish before souping up another car, if you’re so inclined.

A few years back we were first on the scene to a pretty substantial head on/offset collision, at a corner of a 55mph road. There was a family in a sonic, and I was very impressed at how the car protected its occupants.

Back