New (to me) car: Civic Si or Focus ST?

Hello Fellow Bitogers!

Need help with the above decision. The wife and I are considering one of these in the very near future as our Lexus is350 is conditionally sold.
I know the 1.5 in the Civic has had issues with fuel dilution...is this still an issue? or have they addressed it with a recall?

As for the Focus ST, aside from the dreaded auto transmission issues of the non-turbo models, I cannot seem to find any issues online.
I know the RS was also an option, but I'm fine with FWD, especially when equipped with limited slip.

Either would be chosen solely in manual -not that auto is an option.
Also, either would be used purchase of 2017+

Opinions appreciated!

Both are indeed manual-only.

The manual Focus is actually a good car, and the hatchback is more useful and has more space, so that would be my choice.
Very compelling arguement - we also would prefer the hatchback design.
Sadly, only the "sport" version of the Civic is available in a hatch and has 25 less hp, and no limited slip diff :(

Focus ST is not equipped with a mechanical limited slip. It uses the ABS system to brake the wheel that is slipping. Its kinda a work-around for the limited slip, but it causes your brakes to heat up much faster during spirited driving.

Civic SI has a actual limited slip differential, as well as adjustable dampers, all sitting on a much newer architecture than the focus.

I autocross often, and enjoy HPDE occasionally, the Civic SI would be my choice between the two, hands down. It is just the more capable automobile, from a performance driving standpoint. Not saying the ST is a slouch by any stretch, but there is a reason why the SI coupe is the car to beat right now in SCCA G Street class.

I would keep a strict, short oil change interval with it, though. Regardless of year.

Edit: The Civic sport is killing it in HS class, too. 10th gen Civic is just a fantastic handling platform.

Focus ST is not equipped with a mechanical limited slip. It uses the ABS system to brake the wheel that is slipping. Its kinda a work-around for the limited slip, but it causes your brakes to heat up much faster during spirited driving.

Civic SI has a actual limited slip differential, as well as adjustable dampers, all sitting on a much newer architecture than the focus.

I autocross often, and enjoy HPDE occasionally, the Civic SI would be my choice between the two, hands down. It is just the more capable automobile, from a performance driving standpoint. Not saying the ST is a slouch by any stretch, but there is a reason why the SI coupe is the car to beat right now in SCCA G Street class.

I would keep a strict, short oil change interval with it, though. Regardless of year.

Edit: The Civic sport is killing it in HS class, too. 10th gen Civic is just a fantastic handling platform.
Hmm, also very interesting....for the above mentioned items, I think this is going to be a tough decision
:unsure:

Any year MX-5 is an incredible machine, but I understand the need for something more practical. (former NB1 owner here)

I suggest you look up the car reviewer Savagegeese on YouTube. He does a very technical review, and is no stranger to the track himself. He has reviews on all of the cars mentioned here so far, as well as other models that might interest you. (VW GTI, Mazda 3) This may help you narrow down what is right for you. Best of luck!

FoST:
FiST:
FoRS:
CiSI:

Took the 2018 Si sedan for a test drive last night.
Despite the shifter, acceleration, handling etc. we declined due to it feeling "big"
Not sure how to explain it, other than the CX5 we recently rented, felt similar in performance.

Tonight we're trying a Fiesta ST
Despite having accidents on it's history, I'm hopeful (mostly for the lower selling price).

my son now has my '16 Civic Coupe Touring 62k..the dilution can be managed, I'd like to see some evidence of that in a used purchase, CVT is rock solid, we spill/fill every 30k, like to see that too...otherwise a great car, coupe in white is a K.O. IMO.

IMG_0958.JPG

Last edited:
I seriously considered buying a Focus ST years back. It was very sporty. I ended up choosing Golf Sportwagen. Not that they sell them new anymore but i found it to be more practical and offered good enough performance for less. Owning my first Golf taught me that high power front FWD left a lot to be desired. So i got one of the last new Alltrack sportwagens and am pleased. Coming from your IS350 you might be dissatisfied with a front wheel drive.
If you can find a 6MT 4 motion golf sportwagen its a pretty good setup and can be tuned up nicely. Or maybe a 2016 Golf R if budget allows.

Took the 2018 Si sedan for a test drive last night.
Despite the shifter, acceleration, handling etc. we declined due to it feeling "big"
Not sure how to explain it, other than the CX5 we recently rented, felt similar in performance.

Tonight we're trying a Fiesta ST
Despite having accidents on it's history, I'm hopeful (mostly for the lower selling price).
The CX5 with turbo is a bit faster than the Civic SI, until you push it in the corners, but is better in rain/snow/etc. with the AWD. Depends on how you're measuring performance. Twisties? I'd take the SI. Daily commute, freeway roll or stoplight battle? Turbo CX5 all day. It was kindof between a loaded WRX and the CX5 turbo for me. Chose the CX5 for ground clearance and I think it will be more reliable.

Last edited:
Civic Si is probably going to be more comfortable overall but look pretty much the same as the lesser model Civics. The Focus or Fiesta STs will be more entertaining to drive and ride stiffer, sound louder and look more youthful.

After I rented a 2019 MX5, I test drove the following manual cars: ecoboost mustang 6mt, civic si coupe, toyota 86 TRD, WRX. For me I wanted a rear drive car.

The only thing that felt close to the light weight was the civic si and toyota 86. The civic si felt somewhat quick as opposed to the 86. Civic Si felt decently light as opposed to others besides 86. 86 was all top end but understandably its only an NA motor. Handling was good on both but the 86 was better but stiffer also. I liked the ecoboost but the car felt like a boosted version of my previous 2008 G37S 6 speed with more numb handling. I went with the miata because it was a better engine; max torque comes on at 4k vs 6.4k making for an easier daily driver. The convertible top is also a joy in mild Los Angeles. If I lived somewhere else I would've reconsidered.

I wish i test drove the following: Veloster N with sport package, V8 Camaro/Mustang, Civic Type R.

Last edited:
A good friend has a Focus RS. It's an amazing and really fun car, with every attribute "box" checked. I watched the review above, and while I don't disagree with most of what they said, I don't find it to have a horrible ride or to be "overdamped". I found it to be a nicely sporty car, with good power. It's not a Corvette, but it's performance is quite good.

I like the ST- especially since Ford Performance offers a tune that gives a 90 lb-ft torque increase at 2800 rpm on 93 octane fuel.

I don't think I could own an ST with the RS being out. The ST is just too slow when you know you could be rocking the RS. Heck, I could take an ST in a drag race in my Mazda SUV, lol! Not good enough for a "sporty car". Not by a long shot.

Back