New "to me anyway" text scam

Some are mixing texts and calls. I never ever got a spam TEXT, yet I get a decent amount of robo/fake CALLS.

Then suddenly yesterday I get a single spam text for some weight loss bunk, right before I see this thread! 🦨

I get 1-3 fake calls a day. But now AT&T does a really good job of ID'ing them to their credit. (I don't give them credit for much!!)

My number is public for two businesses, so yeah. I don't complain too much.

Good thread that the OP started.
I just went and verified that I did register on the Do Not Call List for all my numbers. I was registered.
Yeah, as the website states, only real companies adhere to the list, scammers, being criminals do not.
Its easy to generate false caller id phone numbers too, many calls/texts are also from criminals overseas.

Depending on your cell phone, Android you can block any exchange that you want, for example if you get constant calls for someone or someone's from certain areas of the country and towns you can block the area code or the area code plus the first 3 digits of the phone number and this will be a blanket block from any number in that area.

Iphone, I never much looked into but I may now, iPhone makes it easy to block a specific number but not a whole exchange which isnt to much help because scammers always changes around the last digits of the phone number, the exchange is normally the same though.
What I do with my iPhone is set it to only ring if someone from my contact list calls me, saves A LOT of grief. I do get a lot of spam calls. If its someone not on my list but important they will leave a message.

Here is the site for anyone interested, its free because you pay for it out of your paycheck every week =
https://www.donotcall.gov

So much for stir/shaken technology. I HAVE noticed a bit of a slowdown in scam calls and texts, but there are still far too many. With the scamming technology being cheap and readily available, and mostly being perpetrated by overseas players, I have serious doubts that any legislation is going to help. Caller ID spoofing has already been illegal for several years. It's going to get to the point at which we'll have to block everything that doesn't come from people in our phone address books.

Ah, I forgot Google has their own cell service.
They don't, They use a multi carrier esim and jump between T-mobile, Sprint, US Cellular. It's nothing magic and most new cell phones support dual sim. Google just aggregates them under one service agreement. They're just another MVNO with multi-carrier agreements.

Ever since this thread was created over the last few days my phone has been blowing up with spam/scam text messages.

I got one of those calls yesterday. The caller ID showed an actual name of a lady in Michigan. I used the Android/Google call screener which resulted in an immediate hang up. I did do a bit of quick research on stir/shaken and found out that even though all carriers were required to implement it a few months ago it's still a work in progress. Maybe once it's fully active with T-Mobile (my carrier) the frequency will reduce further.

Back