New (to me) 2019 CX-5 Signature - Maintenance Advice Sought

Tried to avoid 1) Direct Injection, 2) Turbo - ended up buying 2019 CX-5 Turbo. Made big mistake of letting wife test drive a 2019 CX-5 GTR, she liked it much!
I'm banging my head . . . but if she isn't happy, I won't be happy, that's how it goes in tis house.

Currently own a 2015 MDX which is DI, just traded 2020 Tucson, so I've had experience with DI but never owned a TURBO, don't know what I have to look for and what I need to be more careful on Turbo engine.
The CX-5 looks and drives great, at 13,000 miles, a CA car, AT shifts smooth as supposed to, engine compartment looks clean showing like new except some dust. I don't see any sign of undercarriage rust but both front calipers have some rust spots as shown in pictures, ***? Can these be wire brushed and painted? Also, for 13,000 miles, all 4 tires look pretty worn for the mileage, out of alignment.

Please feel free to advice whatever is need to be done to keep this vehicle for 15 or more years. We keep our cars for 15 to 20 years or longer.

FL.jpgFR.jpgtires.jpg

It's possible an acid wheel cleaner was used at some point and ate the caliper paint. Strange to see it so new with rusty calipers from CA.

Just drive it. That rust will come off quick enough.

What brand of tires is on it?

A 5000 mile OCI is a good schedule and easy to remember. You can set it manually on the system. Tires should get rotated as well.

Thanks for the comments, they're TOYO brand tires, must be original.
Yes, I did set for 5,000 mile OCI manually. Oil had been changed by CarMax and AutoCheck history shows two events, hopefully they're for oil/filter changes.

Just drive it. That rust will come off quick enough.

No need to remove the rust?

Change the ATF every 30,000 miles, as others here have written. Mazda says "lifetime fill", as do many other manufacturers, but trust me on this. Stick to the blue type FZ fluid.

The trans pan does have a drain plug, and the trans body has a fill plug with short dipstick. That fill plug is held by a screw.

No need to remove the rust?

It will come off as you use the brakes.

About a year or so ago I was in a situation where I didn’t drive for a few weeks. I’m just north of you in Tacoma and this was during the rain. The rotors got some rust showing on them but after a couple of trips they shined right back up.

But these rust is on calipers, both front calipers not on the rotors.

Change the ATF every 30,000 miles, as others here have written. Mazda says "lifetime fill", as do many other manufacturers, but trust me on this. Stick to the blue type FZ fluid.

The trans pan does have a drain plug, and the trans body has a fill plug with short dipstick. That fill plug is held by a screw.

Yeah, unlike others, Mazda did the right thing. Every AT vehicle should have a dipstick and drain hole, IMO.
I'll do ATF pan drop at around 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
Wire brush and "clean metal primer (grey)" while it's still young.
Address the pins inspect the boots.

Our 2019 Mazda CX-5 Touring is real nice. Didn't need turbo oomph. Our 2 Mazdas were preceded by 2 Saabs with boost.
Is your turbo built with the 2.5l we have? I never looked at one.
If it isn't direct injection is the 2.5l "multi-port fuel injection"?

Also, is measuring and matching the volume of drained ATF good enough?

Last edited:
Wire brush and "clean metal primer (grey)" while it's still young.
Address the pins inspect the boots.

Our 2019 Mazda CX-5 Touring is real nice. Didn't need turbo oomph. Our 2 Mazdas were preceded by 2 Saabs with boost.
Is your turbo built with the 2.5l we have? I never looked at one.
If it isn't direct injection is the 2.5l "multi-port fuel injection"?

Also, is measuring and matching the volume of drained ATF good enough?

Yes, it's 2.5I Turbo DI engine, no multi-port injection.
I'd assume measuring and filling the same amount of ATF should be good enough, and that's what I do. Luckily, both of my 2015 MDX and this CX-5 have drain plugs and dipsticks.

I'll get my head down in there soon enough but could you tell me where the dipstick is relevant to topside landmarks?
I got the FZ ready. A D&F comes in 10K.

Should I get the thing "hot oiled" or is there a better rustproofing?

We have a 2020 CX-5 with the turbo. On ramps are fun. We go 5k mile OCIs, and I actually use the Mazda Super Premium 5w-30 oil and OEM filters. It's our 2nd CX-5; the previous was a 2014 NA 2.5L and did not give us one issue after 110k miles. Easy oil changes, for sure, but I would not go beyond 5k miles. I've never done a sample, but anecdotally, I believe I smell more fuel in the oil than the other cars I change oil for. Could just be me, of course, but I think there could be a little fuel dilution going on. The 2014 was the same way, but again, it may just be me.

I'll get my head down in there soon enough but could you tell me where the dipstick is relevant to topside landmarks?
I got the FZ ready. A D&F comes in 10K.

Should I get the thing "hot oiled" or is there a better rustproofing?

You'll have to remove air box to access the dipstick/fill plug, its small greyish knob, held by a 10mm screw.
Standing right in front at center, look all the way down from air box & Coolant hose.

Fill plug - dipstick.JPG

I believe I smell more fuel in the oil than the other cars I change oil for. Could just be me, of course, but I think there could be a little fuel dilution going on.

Do you drive mostly short distances?
My 2015 MDX does the same most times, it doesn't get to operating temp mostly, a few long drives are needed to dry off the fuel in oil sump.

Do you drive mostly short distances?
My 2015 MDX does the same most times, it doesn't get to operating temp mostly, a few long drives are needed to dry off the fuel in oil sump.
15 min commute for the most part with some highway. That might get it fully to temp (oil temp, that is)...?

We have a 2020 CX-5 with the turbo. On ramps are fun. We go 5k mile OCIs, and I actually use the Mazda Super Premium 5w-30 oil and OEM filters. It's our 2nd CX-5; the previous was a 2014 NA 2.5L and did not give us one issue after 110k miles. Easy oil changes, for sure, but I would not go beyond 5k miles. I've never done a sample, but anecdotally, I believe I smell more fuel in the oil than the other cars I change oil for. Could just be me, of course, but I think there could be a little fuel dilution going on. The 2014 was the same way, but again, it may just be me.
My 17 non turbo has winter fuel dilution, especially short trips.

So . . . there isn't any SPECIAL MAINTENANCE FOR TURBO ENGINE?
We do quite a few short trips in this small town, worried about fuel dilution the most.

So . . . there isn't any SPECIAL MAINTENANCE FOR TURBO ENGINE?
We do quite a few short trips in this small town, worried about fuel dilution the most.
For the record, no. Source: I'm looking to buy a Maz. turbo and looked up the maintenance schedule.

BUT, if/when I do buy one, I'll follow a severe schedule (OCI every 4,000).... as this car will be driven 95% short (
And the CX5 must be one of the easiest DIY oil changes, everything right there under the splash shield.

Costco oil at $15/5 qts is perfect for my situation.

Back