New to me 2014 Passat TDi- T6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gents,

Just picked up a like new Passat TDi yesterday with 40k on it. Manual calls for strict use of Synthetic 507 spec oil only. I'm finding these difficult to find... any other newer TDi owners on here care to share what you're using and where you are getting it? Prefer off the shelf oils, no AMSOIL pyramid scheme stuff... I went ahead and did change the oil yesterday just because of my OCD with not knowing what was in it (dealer window sticker said Castrol 0W20, which scared me!) I dumped Rotella 5W40 T6 in it, which IMO is perfect for almost any diesel 99% of the time, but it didn't have the 507 spec ref.

I just read up on Liquimoly, I've always liked their oils and the Local NAPA carries them in stock!

I'm just worried now if I'm hurting anything by leaving the T6 in there for a full OCI...

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Hi gents,

Just picked up a like new Passat TDi yesterday with 40k on it. Manual calls for strict use of Synthetic 507 spec oil only. I'm finding these difficult to find... any other newer TDi owners on here care to share what you're using and where you are getting it? Prefer off the shelf oils, no AMSOIL pyramid scheme stuff... I went ahead and did change the oil yesterday just because of my OCD with not knowing what was in it (dealer window sticker said Castrol 0W20, which scared me!) I dumped Rotella 5W40 T6 in it, which IMO is perfect for almost any diesel 99% of the time, but it didn't have the 507 spec ref.

difficult to find m1 5w-30 esp? better to use oil that carry Vw 507. And it works really good in that engine

Rotella T6 5W40 is too thick to be approved against VW's 504/507 protocol.

VW 504/507 oils have additives that don't show up on any VOA or UOA you and I will ever see. Like high performance anti-wear polymers.

You could use Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX which is VW 507 approved.

It is available locally to me at select Advance Auto Parts stores where I live, I don't know about your neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats

Look on RockAuto for good prices, but watch the shipping...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,2014,passat,2.0l+l4+diesel+turbocharged,3307097,engine,oil+filter,5340

https://products.liqui-moly.us/oils/top-tec-4200-sae-5w-30-1.html

If you go with Rock Auto, enter in different amounts of quarts and then calculate the price per qt. Like mattwithcatts said,
watch the shipping. Adding one qt to the order at certain quantities will make a huge difference in your price/qt. Almost like
getting a free qt. "ALMOST" like..

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Hi gents,

difficult to find m1 5w-30 esp? better to use oil that carry Vw 507. And it works really good in that engine

Sorry, won't use a M1 product in my vehicles for many reasons...

Thanks! I love the PUP oils, use them in most of my other vehicles I Just couldn't find the Euro formula locally, I'll have to check a few more stores...

If you delete it, the T6 is perfectly fine. Otherwise, it will shorten the life of the exhaust emissions equipment.

507 is different enough that I wouldn't vary from it unless you have a deleted car. The 507 is expensive anywhere you find it. The Liqui-Moly is a good suggestion along with Motul, the factory fill was Casstrol. My choice with a real synthetic would be Ravenol. On sale now at Blauparts, free shipping like Jegs/Summit over $99.
https://www.blauparts.com/vw-passat-oil-change-kit-tdi-vw-507-00-5w-30.html

Last edited:
good move dumping anything xx W 20 as i did with the girlfriends 18 optima on purchase. seeing you live in a hotter climate a 5 or 10-30 diesel in cooler times + a 15-40 in the heat or even year around, 5-40 is an option in the cool as well but needs LOTS of fragile viscosity improvers unless its a real $$$ synthetic.

Id actually go to the dealer and stick with their oil and filter under your dieselgate warranty expires. Keep reciepts.

I would not use the LM TT 4200. It was expensive and did not hold up for the 10k OCI without TBN depletion when used in my ‘09 Jetta.

The ‘09-14 TDIs have cylinder washdown during the Regen cycle which results in higher wear metals. The magnetic drain plug in my ‘09 would be covered in iron at each oil change. These engines can benefit from a thicker oil during these events.

The HD 10w30 and 5w40 oils will protect the engine better at the expense of higher ash.

Originally Posted by whizbyu
Has anyone ever tried or are familiar with Motul's 8100 X-clean?

I was just looking at that on Amazon, 507 rated and not a bad price. I liked Motul oils in my MX racing days...

Stick with the 507 approved lubes. The Common rail TDI 2L has relatively tough requirements for ring land cleanliness and skirt durability. No reason to save $10 over 10000 miles to use something that may compromise performance. 504/507 products. are easy to come by on the web and finding 5L under $50 is not too difficult with some hunting. Motul xClean is what I've found deals on. Latest approval list linked below.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161673-0001.pdf

Originally Posted by whizbyu
Has anyone ever tried or are familiar with Motul's 8100 X-clean?

Yes I ran it for 10k miles. No issues and never had to make up a drop of oil either. A couple months ago there was a typo on an Amazon listing and people here were getting four 5L jugs for about $45 delivered. 20L of oil for $45 ... Score!!

Thanks! I love the PUP oils, use them in most of my other vehicles I Just couldn't find the Euro formula locally, I'll have to check a few more stores...

So I did some looking. The only PUP oil is the Euro LX 0w30. Make sure it's the LX one. There's a Euro L formula that does not have the 507 approval and a Euro AV which has other VW approvals but not the 507.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back