New to extended drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a '92 Regal with the 3800 that I'm going to extended drains on. I bought it with 78K on it. At about 90K I RXd and flushed it. I've just completed a 4800 mile run on Amsoil 5W-30 and have a fresh fill of the same. I'm using the Wix equivelant of the PF52 (oversized). This car is used exclusively for a one-way 54 mile drive back and forth to work for about 115 miles per day. I usually run about 78-79 MPH. Therefore, it sees a fair amount of accellerating from 55-->80 MPH. It's used for very little else. How long should I expect to go on this oil? When should I get a UOA done?

Ideally my opinion is that about 6K or so you should do a UOA to see if you have any problems anywhere. With that engine and the driving habbits you do you should be able to go beyond 10K easily-with a filter change halfway.

Too bad you didn't sample at 4800 miles
wink.gif
. This would give a good baseline and tell you that you have no coolant leaks or other hidden issue.

However, since you've done the good cleaning and an intial short run (which is a huge plus and hats off to you for learning
bowdown.gif
)

I would say go 10K with confidence, then do a UOA or just suck a sample at 6 or 7K.

I figured I'd be better off pulling a sample at 5K on the 2nd run rather than the first. That way it's trully indicative of what I'm going to see with this oil.

quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:
Is there any reason not to get the kit from Amsoil? Wouldn't it be cheaper?

Perhaps, but I suggested Terry and Blackstone simply because that package will give you a lot more info and having Terry's interpretation of the results is very valuable. He goes over every result with a fine toothed comb and answers any questions you may have. You won't get this kind of personalized service with an Amsoil kit.

quote:

Originally posted by blsnelling:
Is there any reason not to get the kit from Amsoil? Wouldn't it be cheaper?

The Amsoil kit is great, it's only $18.95 which includes TBN, Oxd, Nox, fuel, water, glycol plus the normal wear metal and additive levels.

It's a great kit, if you need more then pay Terry $10 to interperate the analysis. BTW you can also get your results online if you register through the Amsoil site.

What's with the extended drain? Didn't people used to do that before the 3000miles/3months marketing took place?
smile.gif

The 3.8L GM engine is pretty easy on oil ....Provided it's tuned up and running well, 10k-12k change intervals with the Amsoil 5w-30 should be pretty easy to do.

I'd check it once or twice mainly to look at the mechanical condition of the engine. The oil will easily last that long unless you are getting some type of abnormal contamination from coolant/fuel/dirt.

Tooslick
Dixie Synthetics

I tried 3 times to get an oil analysis kit from Blackstone and was unsuccessful. Can't figure out why they won't send me one.
dunno.gif

The most cost effective way I've found is to use Amsoil (O.A.I.) kits at $18.95 and then if you get a strange analysis report send it to Terry. He will give you a good anlaysis for $10.40.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back