New to Diesel HDEO - Ram 3500 pulling RV

I can tell ya all day about PCMO, but this is a new realm for me.

We pull a 44’ fifth wheel across 3-5 states every three months and wife uses the pickup as a daily driver.

Truck is a 2017 Ram 3500 LL with the 6.7L. There are 80,000 miles on it.

I assume synthetic given the circumstances, and capacity is 12 quarts I think.

I should probably find a good filter too. Ideally all at a good price, but maybe I’m wishing on a star.

Thanks everyone!

I can tell ya all day about PCMO, but this is a new realm for me.

We pull a 44’ fifth wheel across 3-5 states every three months and wife uses the pickup as a daily driver.

Truck is a 2017 Ram 3500 LL with the 6.7L. There are 80,000 miles on it.

I assume synthetic given the circumstances, and capacity is 12 quarts I think.

I should probably find a good filter too. Ideally all at a good price, but maybe I’m wishing on a star.

Thanks everyone!
Pretty sure you can get Donaldson blue filters for that engine.

You can use almost any oil that meets spec. I tow a lot with my Ford 6.7 using dino 15w40 and have had no issues. I have 150k worth of UOA posted here if you wish to look. The first few were Valvoline 5w40, then I switched to Valvoline 15w40 at about 30k then Costco 15w40 for the last 5 or 6 UOA at least. Any HDEO that meets spec should be fine, don't over think it.

Depending on how cold it can get in Nebraska or whatever states you’re traveling to any Xw40 CK-4 diesel oil will be fine. I run 5w40 year round in my mine which can see -19F winter driving to 95F summers. I change mine every 10k typically, could go longer but oils cheap compared to a new engine.

For oil filters these are solid choices with synthetic media that I use on a regular basis.
Donaldson DBL7349
Fleetguard LF16035
Fleetguard LF9028 (stacked disc combo/bypass)

Baldwin/Hastings, Wix, Champion XL, and others make some pretty good cellulose/synthetic blend media filters as well.

Running in my 21 3500 HO prior was same just cold climate version. Will run full OLM
20221012_123808.jpg

Yes I should mention we will be above freezing (bottom half of the country) 90% of the time. So 15wXX won’t be too heavy then?

I ran Mobil Delvac Extreme 15w-40 in my 18’ and the motor sounded so much better. It’s supposed to be full synthetic but even if it isn’t my truck just sounded so much better. As has been mentioned about the filters, any of those mentioned are top shelf.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Not to go full retard, but can I use a really stout PCMO in a Diesel engine? Like a 5w40 Castrol Gold Bottle or Mobil 1? Just my brain and wallet thinking…

I ran Mobil Delvac Extreme 15w-40 in my 18’ and the motor sounded so much better. It’s supposed to be full synthetic but even if it isn’t my truck just sounded so much better. As has been mentioned about the filters, any of those mentioned are top shelf.
Same here but in a different engine, Engine runs super smooth with the delvac 15w-40. I am really sold to this oil. And its cheap also. But i am little worry about winter, but i have Webasto that will help with cold starts.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Not to go full retard, but can I use a really stout PCMO in a Diesel engine? Like a 5w40 Castrol Gold Bottle or Mobil 1? Just my brain and wallet thinking…

It’s your truck you can run coconut oil in it if you want. However I don’t recommend anything less than Diesel oil for your truck. I service many with 100k plus on them pulling trailers with out oil issues and many are just on rotella t4 15w40. It’s like 17 bucks a gallon on Walmart. 23 bucks for Mobil Delvac extreme full synthetic. Not like pass car oil is gonna save you any money. HDEO is going to be more stout

The 15W-40 is the superior oil, but then the 5W-40 is the cats meow for cold temperature winter starts. You spent how much on that p/u and you want to skimp on the oil? Go for it . The Brain and wallet thing. What about the drive line and trans lubes?

With a17’ model 6.7 CTD you can use any quality name brand HDEO oil. Conventional or synthetic. Run a quality filter and keep your fuel filters changed with either Mopar or FleetGaurd filters and you will get tired of looking at your truck before you have engine problems. The emissions is another story for another day.

@zerosoma FWIW I’m currently running Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 in my 2012. I go 10k on oil changes. I use Mopar or Fleetguard filters only. My next run will be Mystik JT-8 15w40 because I got a steal of a deal on it.

Pay attention to and change your fuel filters using Mopar or Fleetguard.

Lots of good help on this forum as well as https://www.cumminsforum.com/forums/

Just my $0.02

I was looking at huge buckets of diesel oil, did not see that HDEO is actually cheaper and in smaller quantities.

I had some 5w40 Castrol and Mobil 1 on hand, that’s why I was asking about them. Of course I don’t want to hurt my truck, that’s also why I was asking.

Thanks to those who have helped.

@zerosoma FWIW I’m currently running Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 in my 2012. I go 10k on oil changes. I use Mopar or Fleetguard filters only. My next run will be Mystik JT-8 15w40 because I got a steal of a deal on it.

Pay attention to and change your fuel filters using Mopar or Fleetguard.

Lots of good help on this forum as well as https://www.cumminsforum.com/forums/

Just my $0.02
Is this the Delvac you use?

Attachments

• 6FF395DB-13C5-4618-B6D8-44902213C57E.jpeg
    6FF395DB-13C5-4618-B6D8-44902213C57E.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 16
Back