New to BITOG - turbo fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been lurking for a while and wanted to post up.

My wife and I both drive turbo 4-bangers. I have a Subaru 2.5L turbo and she has a Mazda 2.3L turbo.

I just did her first oil change at 500 miles, factory fill was a synth blend so I stuck with that for now...Castrol Syntec Blend.

I use PP in my Subaru and plan to switch my wifes car over to PP as well. 5W30, though I am tempted to run something quite a bit heavier in the summer time here in Texas.

I also maintain my sister-in-law's Focus (2.3L duratec) and try to make sure that she gets her oil changed as often as I do my Subaru. Just use convential Castrol GTX or Valvoline 5W20 in her car.

Welcome. Good choice with PP.
welcome2.gif

welcome2.gif

Good job on changing the oil as quick as you did. I changed mine at 300 miles, 525 miles, and 1600 miles. Now on my 5K intervals running 3 qrts penzoil and 1.5 quarts PP 5W30.

The debate will rage on forever about changing out the FF early or leaving it in. I believe the sooner the better. Opinions vary!
Getting the break in metals out of there (however little there may be) I believe is a good thing.

How long will your change intervals be? PP is a good oil.

GTX will be a good performer in the focus, as well as any of todays dino's should serve it well

Subaru calls for all their turbo cars to follow the "severe" schedule which is 3750 miles. Mazda calls for 5000 miles.

I will probably stick with ~3000 miles which usually ends up being 3500 by the time I actually change the oil.

I've been happy with the PP so far. I should probably get a UOA to be sure but figure my current OCI is fine if not a little over cautious.

I definitely worry a bit since the cars are turbo charged and the turbo is partially oil cooled (both are oil and water cooled).

The GTX is cheap at $11 for 5 quarts and seems to do fine for the Focus. Might switch it to the motorcraft synth blend since it costs the same. Not my car so I guess it really doesn't matter, just want to make sure that it will last her a long time.

You are doing the right thing.

As far as the focus, and yours too for that matter, from what others have told me on here, as long as you change your oil, drain/refill the radiator yearly or two years max, siphon/refill the power steering fluid ( i will be doing mine every 10K, takes not even 5 minutes and will always have fresh fluid with new additives in there)(same with the radiator), drain/refill the tranny fluid (general consensus on here is every 30K) I drive about 65 miles a day on the highway round trip every day to work so I will probably do mine every 50K-60Kand your car should last a good long while.

GTX has goten good uoa's on here as well as Penzoil, havoline and valvoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back