New tires - Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I bought some "econo" tires at Discount tire (local store). I wanted inexpensive for the 252,000 mile Volvo 245Ti.

I went "taller", 195-65HR-15 (from 205-60HR-15).

Man - even CHEAP tires are expensive (OIL!). $55 each.

Anyone know of Warrior? (The guy said: "Goodrich/Uniroyal" - I said "HUH?")

Anyway - the taller part is GOOD. The tires ride nice, grip well and are great in RAIN!!
smile.gif
I have no idea how they will last, but I'm a bit pleased. My old Goodrich's just never balanced or gripped right, and these feel like a huge improvement (scary)........

Comments please.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Man - even CHEAP tires are expensive (OIL!). $55 each.

Did that include mounting and balancing? If so, that's not bad. Tire Rack sells Kumhos in that size starting at $35 each, but then you have to add shipping and mount/balance.

Anyway, I wish my tires were that cheap. Last time I bought summer tires for my A4 - they were about $220 each.

Sorry, never heard of the Warrior, but let's hope it is.
grin.gif

I was told that warrior was made by michelin. I had a set on my camry. They were crappy tires. they couldn't balance them, they wore funny, and were shot in 35k. The dry weather traction is good, and the wet weather traction is ok. Snow traction leaves quite a bit to be desired. I replaced them with goodyear assurance tripletreads. They are a little more expensive, but I have no complaints with the goodyears so far.

Yeah that includes everything except tax and "disposal fee" (tax, too!)

I didn't shop Tire Rack, because here it's one pain in the rear to get someone to mount them....(because they didn't make a margin) In Seattle I used to buy from Tire Rack.

The wife's Volvo with 16" rims gets the expensive tire....but even that car I've gone from 50's to 55's.

sbc350gearhead - thanks for the input (maybe I should have asked first!!) but I just got back from a 80 mile round tripper with some wet winding roads and I must say the grip was superb. And at 80 mph highway speeds no shimmy, shake or anything and on an old Volvo that's saying something!! The old tires were never this good. If they wear out at 30,000 -40,000 I won't be too heart broken.

I guess I remember the $30 tire days!!

I would not say Warrior tires are made by Michelin, but there is a connection.

Michelin bought a number of tire plants in China where the Warrior brand is made. They import them as an economy/no name tire sold at super low prices to national chains like Discount and Big 10.

Since Michelin North America is the parent company to BFGoodrich and Uniroyal, Warrior is connected to them as well, if only as a distant corporate cousin.

bretfaz, et al....thanks....connection makes sense.

They are marked "Made in China".

They did seem fine on wet roads, but I'll wait for flood season
grin.gif

I think the weakness may be soft rubber and wear, but that doesn't bug me too much, because again my main fear was balance and grip. (and cost!)

Let's see how MPG goes....I'll run them at 40-42 psi
shocked.gif
wink.gif

My buddy just totaled his Sentra with those things on. He slid on ice into the building where he works. To myself, I softly said "told ya so". $7,000 in damage...he probally saved $7 a tire.
frown.gif

He slid. On ice. Blaming summer tires is like blaming the oil he had in the crankcase.

Sheesh. I have winter tires.

BTW I have found these Warrior tires to be a LOT better in wet than the silly Goodrichs I took off. Only now do I realize what a joke those Goodrich H4 tires were.

You guys can specualte all you want. If I did not know someone who JUST totaled his car from LACK OF TIRE TRACTION, I'd be reading right from the Skeptic's Handbook too. Here is another fact, when Bridgstone updated their Turanza H, the testing showed a 15ft shorter stopping distance in wet with the new compound. That seems enough to avoid an accident or save a life, it's not 15 inches! Does anyone here think the "Warrior" tires stop even shorter? Of course we cannot know if it would have made a difference in this case, but it could have. If a tire takes longer to stop it's a COMPRAMISE of safety that I am not willing to take for $7/tire.

Audi Junkie - I don't disagree with you, but to be honest these tires actually stop and grip better than the Goodrich's I took off. This is my commuter car, not the family vacation mobile or kid hauler - we all take risks. These are not unsafe tires and I think after studying it for a bit there aren't a lot of tires that are automatically safer because they cost $20 or whatever more. And sometimes even a "brand" name doesn't buy you everything.

Gotcha.
cheers.gif
BFGs are junk. I am sorely dissapointed in my tires' snow traction, the G-009s. Dunlop A2s seem to be the way to go in snow. I spend a lot on tires for a few cars, I have to be cheap but always get an appropriate tire for the vehicle, it varies. IMO, Warriors would be ok on a small p/u or something... I agree and accept your assertion that they are decent. My buddy might not agree.
tongue.gif
My wife complains I care too much about tires but is a PANIC case when it's time to drive in snow (Yoko Guardex 600s on her car). I told her we spend $500 a year on tires, $2,500 since we moved in together, we SHOULD care.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
You guys can specualte all you want. If I did not know someone who JUST totaled his car from LACK OF TIRE TRACTION, I'd be reading right from the Skeptic's Handbook too.

If you want some kind of traction on ice, you need studded tires.
wink.gif
All all-seasons and most winter tires will still slide on ice.

quote:

Here is another fact, when Bridgstone updated their Turanza H, the testing showed a 15ft shorter stopping distance in wet with the new compound.

15ft is a pretty significant improvement. At what speed though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back