New tires sound like a dodge ball bouncing off someone's head over bumps

If it's not one thing, it's another. Vehicle is a 2019 RX 350 with 26,500 miles on it. I just had new tires put on the vehicle - 235/55R-20 MICHELIN CROSS CLIMATE 2. The wheels were mounted on the stock rims, balanced, and a four wheel alignment performed. The shop owner called and asked if we hit anything on front left tire because the camber was way off (I think he said a +2.0) and while he was able to get it within spec using an airbag, that's as good as he can get to because it's "maxed out" - he said something must be slightly bent. No history of accidents but **** happens and we've driven all over the NE including NYC and certainly hit pot holes. The OEM tires where shot at 25K miles but the entire surface of every tire was uniformly and evenly worn down.

The wheels are absolutely smooth as glass on the car and smoother than the OEM tires where especially at highway speeds where it feels like you're floating on a cloud. These tires give more road noise than the OEM tires with a slight hum. My question is at highway speeds when you hit bump/expansion joints the tires make a sound that is best described as the sound a dodge ball makes bouncing of something. The tires are at 35psi and I said the thing drives like dream otherwise. Tires only have about 30 miles on them.

Just a quirk of these tires?

Related to the alignment?

CC4C4135-B2A7-42AB-AF98-9731F5FA4B16.jpeg
FFE52E4F-C023-41CB-A60B-00DC314281CA.jpeg

Reactions: hrv
Most likely it is simply how the tires are and you need to adjust to it. Typical of such tires that have better handling. You can't choose to have the plushest ride quailty from a tire without it compromising handling.

Regardless, you bought good tires.

From the Tire Rack:

"The CrossClimate2 featured a nicely-controlled ride that excelled at making each impact a distinct and concise event. It was also the firmest in the test, which meant some small bumps that were mostly eliminated by the other tires, were more noticeable when driving the Michelin."

This may or not be true... Just my observation.

I have found psi can make a noticeable difference with how tires act. Even small changes in psi can make a difference. I had new tires that were not actually correct pressure at 35 psi. I dropped them to 33 and it was bad. Just not right. Bumpy and harsh. Put 35 psi in and much better.

Maybe play with slightly changing psi... May help out.

This may or not be true... Just my observation.

I have found psi can make a noticeable difference with how tires act. Even small changes in psi can make a difference. I had new tires that were not actually correct pressure at 35 psi. I dropped them to 33 and it was bad. Just not right. Bumpy and harsh. Put 35 psi in and much better.

Maybe play with slightly changing psi... May help out.
Just follow that is on the door jam...

I just had Michelin Cross Climate 2's installed on our '07 Accord (205 60R 16) a week ago. Definitely quieter on the highway and plusher riding than the RT43's they replaced. Even my wife noticed the difference right away. The Accord needs all the help it can get in the noise/ride department, and small improvements are helpful. The RT43's were about 1/2 worn. The reason for the change was (hopefully) better winter performance than the RT's, in an all season tire.

Maybe the OP's wider, lower profile tire size makes a difference. I would think that road noise, impact sounds and ride comfort would vary somewhat between different tire sizes, and of course different vehicles.

I'm planning on posting my impressions of the CC2's after putting some miles on them.

I just had Michelin Cross Climate 2's installed on our '07 Accord (205 60R 16) a week ago. Definitely quieter on the highway and plusher riding than the RT43's they replaced. Even my wife noticed the difference right away. The Accord needs all the help it can get in the noise/ride department, and small improvements are helpful. The RT43's were about 1/2 worn. The reason for the change was (hopefully) better winter performance than the RT's, in an all season tire.

Maybe the OP's wider, lower profile tire size makes a difference. I would think that road noise, impact sounds and ride comfort would vary somewhat between different tire sizes, and of course different vehicles.

I'm planning on posting my impressions of the CC2's after putting some miles on them.
What bitog blasphemy lol rt 43 are the best

Ahh.... The door said.... 33.... And it rode terrible like I said.

35 and it was much better.
Interesting.On my 20201 hrv sport I had 35 front and back and it was a little bumpy... I set it at the door jam setting....32 front 28 back and the ride got a whole lot better..It has 225/50/18 on it..

I haven't noticed that noise on the CC2's, also 235/55r20

But on my old car, the stock ContiProContacts made that type of noise on impacts after halfway worn, but every Nokian I had (and the Nitto winter tire) didn't make that noise on bumps

When I put Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my old Sonata, they would make that dodge ball rebound sound on highway expansion joints and raised tar seams in asphalt. The OEM Kumho tires never did that.

The OEM Michelins on my Equinox never made that sound, but the Cooper tires I bought to replace the Michelins will do it every once in a while but not consistently. More when they are nice and warm from a highway run than anything else.

Some newer Audi vehicles have acoustic foam bonded to the inside of the tire. It takes the ring out of it and makes more of thud over bumps.

Freaking hilarious!

Who else imagined, in their mind, that sound, when you read the title?

I sure did!

🤣

BTW I can’t say I’ve ever ridden in a vehicle where the tires “rang” like that upon hitting a bump.

Strange!

Freaking hilarious!

Who else imagined, in their mind, that sound, when you read the title?

I sure did!

🤣

BTW I can’t say I’ve ever ridden in a vehicle where the tires “rang” like that upon hitting a bump.

Strange!
I haven't either..and I have the CC2 on my Forester.. no issues with noise that's for sure...

I've noticed the same noise in one of my cars some time ago. Only I described it as a bouncing basketball... the high pitched resonant tinny sound. I think it's just the nature of the tire and noise transmission through the car and didn't read any further into it.

What's the deal with the airbag? What was it for? is it still on the car? Seem possible it would sound like a ball if its in contact with suspension and the body?
Your SUV doesn't have a whole lot of extra load rating in the tires, but maybe 32 psi would help? Pretty safe assuming you don't drive 100+mph with a full car....

Back