New tires for my Cherokee this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions are welcome. My XJ sees no offroad stuff, except the occasional drive up a logging road or something, to get to a trailhead.
I live across the lake from Seattle, so we see a bit of rain, and in the winter it can get a bit icey now and then. I also have been known to drive into the mountains through snow and ice on occasion.
The Goodyear Wranglers that came on the Jeep were sucky, to say the least. Right now, I have Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's on there. I think I got them in the Fall of 2001, so they have about 35K on them now. I'll probably need to replace them after the summer is over. I've been pleased with them, they stick well and aren't too noisy, and they are lasting a long time.
Just wondering if there are better deals out there these days. I paid $100 a tire for these.
Any suggestions?

Bridgstone Dueler AT Revo if you want an AT style of tire that's great in the wet and in ice or snow.

Firestone Destination LE if you want something a little less aggressive...

best tire i have ever used and still use is the B.F.Goodrich all-terrains. i think if you go to tirerack.com there are customer ratings on there to help you choose. I have had my B.f.'s for 3 years now.. i never had tires this long. and for off-roading and snow they are the best. I believe even consumer reports gave them great ratings..

I second the Bridgestone A/T Revos. look them up at tirerack.com
cheers.gif

I have the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on my 2002 F-150. They are real good for moderate off road and yet extremely quiet and well behaved on the road. My wife has a 2002 Explorer and replaced the factory Michelin Cross Terrain's with Yokohama Geolander H/T-S GO51's. These tires are amazing
shocked.gif
! They grip better than the Michelin's in wet, snow and mud. Plus they are quiet on the road, come with a 60,000 mile tread life warranty and are cheap by comparison. For her size, 235X70X16 the Michelin's cost $126/each and the Yokohama's cost $84/each, both at Tire Rack. The Bridgestone Revo's in her size are $112/each at Tire Rack.

Whimsey

Head down to Les Schwab and get a set of Toyo Open Country A/Ts. My wife has them on her Blazer,and they offer a nice quite ride,great traction for the rainy W. Wa. winters and do awesome in the snow.

She has 34K on her current set and will EASILY pass the 50K mile warranty. I'd be surprised if they didn't go 75K.

If you're happy with the C/T's, I say stick with them.

Pretty much any A/T tire is going to ride stiffer and noisier than your C/T's. If you don't need A/T traction, there's is probably no need for A/T tires.

The Firestone Destination LE suggestion is a good one. Also check out Yokohama Geolandar H/T G034 or HT/S G051. My boss has the Toyo Open Country A/T on his 2WD Avalanche and they seem very nice (although his Av is a big luxo boat of a truck).

Our 1996 Cherokee had Bridgestone Long Trails on it, and last spring we put Michelin CT's on it. The Michelins are an all around much better tire than the Bridgestones, even when the Bridgestones were new. The Michelins are great on the highway, excellent in rain, and handled our long steep driveway fine in 12 inches of snow this winter. Very quiet as well.

We got nearly 65K out of the original Goodyears (replaced with 4/32nds tread left) and 60K out of the Bridgestones (replaced with 3/32nds tread left). So far the Michelins are doing extremely well with 10K on them.

I like the Michelins, they do great in the rain, and pretty well on the ice and snow. They are light years better than the Goodyears that were on there. I was just wondering if there was somtheing a bit better out there. Thanks for the replies.

The BFG A/T seem to be one the very few 'regular' all season or all terrain tires that also has a severe snow rating. On lighter vehicles they seem to decent marks for mileage, on heavier vehicles like 3/4 and 1 ton trucks it's mixed. Around here (Portland area) I see more than a few that also siped, I guess for better rain and snow/ice performance. You'll may still need chains on glare ice.

Nokian is advertising the Hakka 10s (?) as an all season tire, but I don't know if the compound is different than the winter version.

For more highway use the Michelin LTX M&S gets good marks for mileage. A 4x4 magazine that I just picked up gave the Firestone Destination AT a good review, it had excellent highway manners and was decent offroad, better than expected.

We bought Dayton Timberline HTs for my wife's Expedition. Consumer Reports rated them as one of the top values in tires. Dayton is owned by Bridgestone/Firestone and sold through the same distribution channels. They are good, quiet tires that do well in the rain and winter weather. Her tires were 255/70R16 and we paid $85 each installed.

I use 245/70/16 BFG ATko on my Acura SLX(trooper rebadged. I have used these tires in the snow and offroad. They have been on the high slickrock of Moab,UT deep sand of Canyon de Chelly,AZ the mud of Parkfield, CA and the Carrizo Plain of CA. They served me well for 57K miles and still have another 15 or 20K left. I have 97K+ on the truck.
The Revos are also good but have tender sidewalls. At Moab we had a couple of guys rip the sidewalls on tree roots. There is a good reason why BFG is the most common tire in Death Valley -- reliability>

I'm sorry but I won't use any tire that is a family of Bridgstone/Firestone group.Their 721 radials back in the 70's almost killed my family and me in the infamous "tread separation" fiasco.Then Ford had the same thing going on with the Explorers (it's the tire not the truck)so you can keep em'.I've used B.F.G ,Michelin,Goodyear,Dunlop,Uniroyal without the tread coming off at highway speeds so go figure
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by arkainzeye:
best tire i have ever used and still use is the B.F.Goodrich all-terrains. i think if you go to tirerack.com there are customer ratings on there to help you choose. I have had my B.f.'s for 3 years now.. i never had tires this long. and for off-roading and snow they are the best. I believe even consumer reports gave them great ratings..

I'll have to agree that the B.F.G KO's are a good tire.Have a set on my TJ and the XJ will get a set this fall...very happy with their "all around" performance
grin.gif

After many sets of BFG/ATs nothing will go on my Wrangler except Kelly* MSR`s.Road manners(wet/dry),wear,noise etc. BFG`s are third rate IMO.
Current set has 35K and still easily have another 25K left on them !! Oh yeah WE Do play hard and they handle mud and off road duty very well.

BFG's cant touch them !!

SS/LS

quote:

Originally posted by SSLoneStar:
After many sets of BFG/ATs nothing will go on my Wrangler except Kelly* MSR`s.Road manners(wet/dry),wear,noise etc. BFG`s are third rate IMO.They have a bad habit of "chunking"
Current set has 35K and still easily have another 25K left on them !! Oh yeah WE Do play hard and they handle mud and off road duty very well.

BFG's cant touch them !!
As for Tirerack.com,they have been proven to be very biased on several accounts.

SS/LS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back