New Tier 3 Fuel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for cleaner fuel, but it's a small bummer for me that the price of premium might go up even more.
The manual for my FXT recommends 93 octane and says 91 is acceptable, but anything below that could result in poor performance...but with no damage down to 87.
A rough calculation tells me I'm spending $500-600 a year extra for premium (usually 93 around here) over 87 octane. I didn't worry too much about my car's need for premium when I bought it 5 years ago and I think the price premium (hee hee) for it was much less even that short time ago. My wife was test driving new Subarus a few months ago and I was talking with the salesman about the new 2.4l DIT...he said it was a huge priority for the company to make the new turbo engine run well on 87 octane. Drivers HATE buying premium for the FA20DIT and are vocal about it with the dealers.
Interesting that there will be a 2020 Outback XT with the new engine...I'm not buying a new car sooner than planned just so I don't have to buy premium anymore, but that could be an interesting option in maybe 3 years when I start thinking about replacing the Forester.

This just means that exemptions for ULSG are expiring and the some pundents are guessing that the price of gas will rise. The author didn't explain the link between Octane and ULSG. Perhaps the cheaper octane boosters contained sulphur compounds??
21.gif

I only run my motorcycle on premium. This spring my fuel mileage increased from 42/44 range to 46-50 MPG range on 2009 BMR R1200GS. No I do not poke around.

Rod

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
The author didn't explain the link between Octane and ULSG. Perhaps the cheaper octane boosters contained sulphur compounds??
21.gif

The majority of the gasoline sulfur comes from FCC produced naphtha/gasoline, which is olefinic and decent octane. Additional refining to remove the sulfur also saturates the olefins, lowering the octane.

"EPA estimates the costs of sulfur control would be less than a penny per gallon.
Consequently, consumers are unlikely to notice a difference in fuel prices at the pump due to Tier 3,
as its impact will be overwhelmed by other variability in the marketplace. "

"Based on EPA's peer-reviewed refinery-by-refinery analysis, of the 108 gasoline refineries impacted by Tier
3, 40 are either already meeting the 10 ppm standard, or are expected to purchase credits to
show compliance. Another 67 are able to comply with modifications to their existing equipment
which can occur in 2 years' time."

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi/P100HVZM.PDF?Dockey=P100HVZM.PDF

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
I only run my motorcycle on premium. This spring my fuel mileage increased from 42/44 range to 46-50 MPG range on 2009 BMR R1200GS. No I do not poke around.

Rod

Perhaps this could be due to switching from a winter formulation to a summer formulation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back