New thermostat for the Charger today

wwillson

Staff member
The Charger coolant has been running about 15-20°F cooler than normal for a few weeks and finally threw a P0128 code, which is "coolant did not reach operating temperature quickly enough". I put a new thermostat in today and the temp is right back up where it should be. I believe the OEM thermostat is 205°F. The original thermostat failed at about 65,000 miles.

This has to be the easiest thermostat to change in the history of the automotive world. From start to finish was 13 minutes. Amazing.

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2119.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

Nice clean intake!
IMG_2121.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep. Always nice when things go easy. Plastic housing; maybe less than 10 #ft of torque? Coulda done it with your fingers...

If you are bored some day and want to invest another 30 minutes and a few extra bucks, you can upgrade the composite cross over pipe to metal. You can look at it as either tempting fate or a piece of mind. Motor City mechanic has a nice video. Man, that guy knows his stuff.

Years back while it was getting other work done, my mechanic replaced the thermostat on my Grand Cherokee. IIRC, it has 2 thermostats? I think I remember him replacing 2 and thinking that was kind of weird.

I get heat in the winter insanely fast with it.

I haven’t seen issues with the plastic cross over pipe. I have seen I think 1 or 2 where the bolts for the Thermostat corroded and broke off in it but not an actual pipe issue

Different shops and areas see different problems no doubt but not sure what would happen in a maintained lower mileage car

Did the Dorman aluminum replacement (upgrade?) on my 2015 with 70K miles for both the thermostat and the crossover last week. Was disappointed to find out that they were made in China, hope that some quality control was present wherever Dorman contracted it out. I had the OEM thermostat fail a couple of weeks ago. I retired recently and intend to drive this thing into the ground, so I'm replacing anything not designed to last that long.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
The Charger coolant has been running about 15-20°F cooler than normal for a few weeks and finally threw a P0128 code, which is "coolant did not reach operating temperature quickly enough". I put a new thermostat in today and the temp is right back up where it should be. I believe the OEM thermostat is 205°F. The original thermostat failed at about 65,000 miles.

This has to be the easiest thermostat to change in the history of the automotive world. From start to finish was 13 minutes. Amazing.

View attachment 147492
View attachment 147493
View attachment 147494
Nice clean intake!
View attachment 147495
NICE , clean looking engines are a joy to work on compared to the dirt magnets. Looks sweet n clean from here.

NICE , clean looking engines are a joy to work on compared to the dirt magnets. Looks sweet n clean from here.
All of my vehicles go to the car wash about once a quarter and get their engine bays soaped and rinsed. Some people look at me like I have three heads, I guess then think my engine is going to refuse to start. I've been doing this for 30 years and have never had a single problem.

All of my vehicles go to the car wash about once a quarter and get their engine bays soaped and rinsed. Some people look at me like I have three heads, I guess then think my engine is going to refuse to start. I've been doing this for 30 years and have never had a single problem.
Ha ha ha! Yes sir I know those looks. I have seen so many auto magazine articles try to explain to folks exactly what you are doing is 100% safe unless you flood the alternator or something foolish!

Back