New T-fal cast iron skillet came pre-warped

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new T-fal 12" cast iron skillet - it's on sale. Finish is rough, the casting is kind of uneven, the exterior has 2 of those narrow deeper pits that make you wonder if it's going to rust through at some point.
The cherry on the cake - it came pre-warped - to save consumers the hard work ...
When I was a kid, Tefal was a reputable brand. The box of this product said country of origin China.
It's going back, to my eyes it's no better that the Mainstays $10 12" skillet at Walmart.

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

A good iron pan needs some thickness in the bottom ...if it is not it heats very unevenly. For a pan good for a lifetime get a good one.

Even Lodge lacks in the smooth cooking surface department. Keep your eyes peeled for an old Griswold in good condition.

I know there are a bunch of start up companies that make iron skillets I think one of them is called "Stargazer". I see them featured in Youtube shill vids all the time.

It used to be modern Lodge or vintage. I think there are higher quality options than Lodge now because I'll bet the good old stuff (Griswold, etc) has appreciated beyond the ability for a normal person to afford a decent one that isn't warped. There was definitely a bubble starting when I was researching them in the early 2010s.

Yes Griswold is expensive now, but the hidden gem can be found at yard sales every now and then. You might get lucky at a Goodwill store too. Some people are pickers, and they get all the good stuff from Goodwill cheap, and sell it on Ebay and etc.for a hefty profit.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Even Lodge lacks in the smooth cooking surface department. Keep your eyes peeled for an old Griswold in good condition.

This is what ticks me off. Lodge sells a US made product for $20, machining is skipped due to labor costs.
Tefal or some other company decides to make their product in China because labor is much cheaper than France etc. - all to pass on the savings to the customer. Except they don't pass on the savings and their product is maybe twice as expensive as the Lodge. The casting is inferior but that's OK, because labor is cheap, so why don't they machine the pans to correct the casting flaws and actually make a product with a superior finish?
And how on earth did this pan warp? Did they dip it in ice cold oil for seasoning?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zorobabel

This is what ticks me off. Lodge sells a US made product for $20, machining is skipped due to labor costs.
Tefal or some other company decides to make their product in China because labor is much cheaper than France etc. - all to pass on the savings to the customer. Except they don't pass on the savings and their product is maybe twice as expensive as the Lodge. The casting is inferior but that's OK, because labor is cheap, so why don't they machine the pans to correct the casting flaws and actually make a product with a superior finish?
And how on earth did this pan warp? Did they dip it in ice cold oil for seasoning?
I often find US made stuff is crudely finished, I guess because the labour is too expensive for much finishing in the USA. However, Lodge castings are smoother than OP's T Fal. Next one I get is going to be machined for sure, but I will always support Lodge. I have a Sportsman's Grill and it is a total beast!

Yes Griswold is expensive now, but the hidden gem can be found at yard sales every now and then. You might get lucky at a Goodwill store too. Some people are pickers, and they get all the good stuff from Goodwill cheap, and sell it on Ebay and etc.for a hefty profit.

I have a couple of griswolds, and i love them. You do have to watch as there are some counterfeit griswold pans out there.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
What about Calphalon? My mother swears by it.

Used to be good-and USA made.

When Meyer company bought them it is now more made in china "poop".....

All these companies are in a race to put their name on Chinese pot metal. Lodge at minimum for cast iron.

I like to take a 5" random orbital sander/square jitterbug sander with 180 grit to the cooking surface inside the pan and polish it smooth as glass, then re-season it. It speeds up the wear in process a couple years:)

We love ours cast iron LeCreuset's, not cheap but outstanding quality and lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back