New Supertech St8 Oil Filter Cut Open Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Hi ,
Just cut open this filter, the filter element is not too bad, but the plastic inner, and paper end cap make it cheap construction. Plus I don't see a bypass system in this filter. If any one can explain that one to me, most have some sort of valve.
I wouldn't use this filter
27.gif

Looks like a combo ADBV/bypass valve setup. That's why the two sets of holes on the base plate.

This filter uses a combo valve, it functions as both an anti-drain back valve and bypass. It works.
The center cage is plastic, this design has been used for at least 15 years, and aside from some initial problems when they first came out, no issues with them. It works.
The fiber end caps are made of a material that is stronger than the filter media (which is made of cellulose, which is, guess what, another name for paper, which is what the majority of filters use for media, at least in part). It works.

So you have an uninformed bias making your decision to not use a filter. That is fine.
Millions of these filters have been used with no issues.

It works fine. The ecore combo valve filters I've seen are of good quality. It states up to 10,000 miles on the box. I'm sure there has been extensive testing on them. I've also noticed the new fram extra guard packaging says 10,000 miles, this must be the new standard for even less expensive filters.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use those new blue STechs. The old ones (white can ) before were much better in build quality and materials.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
I wouldn't use those new blue STechs. The old ones (white can ) before were much better in build quality and materials.

I didn't thing so.
Aside from the Wix made (white can) having metal end-caps and center tube and the Champ made (blue can) having fiber end caps and e-core center, there really is not much of a difference.
Filtering numbers are similar, both are cellulose media, both use combo valves in many models (the Wix and Champ are different designs, with the Wix taking up more space, giving less filter area) and did not feel a difference in cans (but never did measure).
I used an ST2 on my brother in laws truck last month and have a ST9688 that will probably be going on my mom's Scion xB next week (I have the ST, a NAPA Gold and Prime Guard to choose from in my stash).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back