New Supertech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I saw a new Supertech oil for vehicles over 75000 miles. It was in 5 quart bottles that were reddish if I remember correctly. Price was about 6.55 for 5 quarts. Comes in 10-30 and 10-40 viscosities. Anybody with some insights into this oil?

Mike

I've seen that too, and am a little suspicious. Price here is not much more than regular Supertech, so can it really be much different? One person suggested that "high mileage" may just mean "this is for high mileage engines because it's thicker than the 5W30 you're probably using in your engine now... so is the rest of our 10W30, but if you'll pay a bit more for a special label on the bottle then be our guest". I wonder.

I think that was a reference to the fact that the blue bottle 10W30 says for high mileage cars due to the fact that older cars spec'd 10W30. But this red stuff has been around my wally world for a while. WPP just like the rest.

thats the same stuff that M1 did a few years back. the 5w30 said newer vehicle formula and the 10w30 said for high mileage vehicles. then the 15w30 was the "race formula"

thats funny i just put this oil in my sisters car today. i had never seen it until today. it looks like a maxlife ripoff...the red bottle and such. but im sure its a good oil. her car is headed to the junkyard any second so i wasnt too concerned w/ my oil selection. id like to see VOAs to compare this w/ regular supertech. just curious...

-Bo

i looked at some st hm today.one thing i noticed is it's energy conserving unlike all the other hm's.it was $1.44 a qt.

code:

ST used to make a synth blend. Sounds like they may have brought it back

I think you may be right. I was in WM the other day, and I am quite sure that the red bottles said synthetic blend. I will return today with a definite answer.

OK, just back from WM and I found both bottles that I was looking for. The older bottle says that it is a semi-synthetic, for higher mileage vehicles. This was an SL oil in 10-40 only. The newer supertech high mileage oil says nothing about synthetics at all. This was an SM oil in 10w-30 and 10w 40. Neither had a price tag near them, so I couldnt compare.
 -

Just saw the new oils in today at walmart, finally have some PP, Q, and syntec too. I might use the supertech in my moms van along with 2 quarts of PP(maybe mobil 1) for 7.5-8.5k mile changes. Which would be about 2-3 times per year.

If the bottle does not have the API "starburst" certification mark, it is not "energy conserving" and is thicker viscosity.

Ken

A 5 quart container of Super-Tech 10w-30 Synthetic is only $12. At that price why even bother with the dino?

Well I guess it is a lovely red color, definitely designed to get a male's attention.

~Sail

The red color is meant to mimic Valvoline High Mileage. I picked up 10 quarts (2 five quart jugs) yesterday in the 10W30. If it's got the high mileage addy pack, why not?

Nothing new with that oil. Outside of having a new, different label, it's been around for the last two years that I'm aware of. Perhaps contains a little group III to meet SM/high mileage specs. I think Conoco had to do the same (add group III) to meet their regular dino SM specs also. Those now say synthetic-blend.

Okay, so I don't get it. What is it about a synth blend that makes it marketable as a "High mileage" oil? Especially if it's just group III. With regard to the API energy conserving, it's in the API donut on the back. I wouldn't think they'd be able to put it there if it weren't certified, right?

BrianWC I beleive on the back it reads that it has other additives for seals etc like all the other HM oils. It just happens to be semisyn. It's diccontinued now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back