new subaru owner what oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Donald

Install a Fumoto valve and you will have one of the easiest oil changes I have come across in my 50 yrs of changing oil on my own cars. I do not use a ramp or jack stands. I suck in my belly and slide under the car. Have not gotten stuck yet.

Just one question how does that Fumoto keep you from crawling under car?

I don't think he's saying that the Fumoto valve is keeping him from crawling under the car at all, how do you get that impression from his post? That's not what he's saying at all.

No that's what I'm saying and their a waste of money.

Last edited:
With 5k miles and no GDI, you have a bunch of options.
What I wouldn't do:
conventional
no api starburst/ logo
...i think that's it.

SAE Oil Viscosity chart.png

Walmart Supertech 0w20 is under $16 and will do an excellent job and save you money. For the filter, the PG4615 is $1.68 at RockAuto and meets the 23 psi Subaru specification. I have been running these 7500 miles and they always look great upon inspection and no issues.

Originally Posted by Brian553
What I wouldn't do:
conventional
no api starburst/ logo
...i think that's it.

I believe the 2.5 in the Legacy, Outback and Forester uses direct injection as of MY19. I know the switchover for the 2.0 in the Crosstrek was MY18 (went from FB20B to FB20D).

Originally Posted by kaesees
Originally Posted by Brian553
What I wouldn't do:
conventional
no api starburst/ logo
...i think that's it.

I believe the 2.5 in the Legacy, Outback and Forester uses direct injection as of MY19. I know the switchover for the 2.0 in the Crosstrek was MY18 (went from FB20B to FB20D).

Ah, thank you. In that case, I would look for SN+ oils. If reports of this motor are exhibiting a lot of fuel dilution (and if you exacerbate it with short trips,) I would pick an oil with higher hot viscosity, anticipating it to drop due to the fuel dilution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lucerne06
im a new subaru owner , with a legacy 2.5L .want to do my own oil changes..i know to use a genuine subaru filter, what full synthetic should I use, plan to change once a year,,,only put 5000/ yr on cars.

Are you me? I just got a 18 Crosstrek and asking same question. Also only drive about 5-6K per year in NW Indiana with worst of both climates. My book states 0w20 but allows 5w30 dino in a pinch, stressing 0w20 next oci.

Im doing my 1st change soon with NAPA 0w20 (18.99 jug) and NAPA Gold filter. My thought is, whatever oil use isnt going to be there long due to warranty 6 month oci, and it wont be used much either. Im thinking about using dino 5w30 next summer while its hot and 0w20 for winter. Hope dino wont hurt...

Will Royal Purple 0-20 syn work in my 2018 Legacy 2.5 in NJ, drive about 5-6000 yr?

klxdrt

Last edited:
I also use NAPA 0w-20 or Valvoline if the NAPA's not on sale. I mostly use the blue Subaru filter but have used other brands; not sure whether the filter is that important as long as the filter manufacturer list the filter for the car. I know your annual mileage is low, but I'd change it every 6 months while under warranty.

Oh yeah, I drive a '16 Forester also with the 2.5.

Good luck with your new car!

Originally Posted by klxdrt
Will Royal Purple 0-20 syn work in my 2018 Legacy 2.5 in NJ, drive about 5-6000 yr?

klxdrt

It will work. Is it better? Nope. You can get good oil for far less money than RP.

Originally Posted by lucerne06
im a new subaru owner , with a legacy 2.5L .want to do my own oil changes..i know to use a genuine subaru filter, what full synthetic should I use, plan to change once a year,,,only put 5000/ yr on cars.

Any Walmart Mobil 1 for $22.88 on Rollback should serve you fine and give you a $12 rebate a Jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back