new subaru owner what oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im a new subaru owner , with a legacy 2.5L .want to do my own oil changes..i know to use a genuine subaru filter, what full synthetic should I use, plan to change once a year,,,only put 5000/ yr on cars.

Last edited:
Any Conventional, Synthetic or Blend would be more than enough for your driving regimen. But if going with synthetic, choose any syn that meets specs. Maybe Castrol GTX Magnatec would fit the bill here, since it "clings to engine parts."

I just purchased a new forester with the 2.5L. Owners manual says 0w20 required unless you live in a warm climate then a higher viscosity is required but it does not specify what viscosity. I'm planning on using 5w30 as I'm in So. Cal.

Pennzoil Platinum, and cash in on the rebates. Wix/Napa (5)7055 filter. 53' Stude cut open a brand new 7055 I sent a couple months back, looked great and has correct bypass rating, plus metal end caps.

Originally Posted by lucerne06
im a new subaru owner , with a legacy 2.5L .want to do my own oil changes..i know to use a genuine subaru filter, what full synthetic should I use, plan to change once a year,,,only put 5000/ yr on cars.

Any decent 0W-20, probably any 0W-20 grade oil, will be fine for 5K.
I've used M1 AFE, MSS and now VME in our '17 Forester.
Any oil filter listed by the maker for this application is fine to use.
What time interval does Subaru recommend for drains?
I paid no attention to this since I knew that the car would see enough miles that a six month drain interval wouldn't matter.

Originally Posted by lucerne06

I really appreciate the everyday value of Walmart Super Tech Full Synthetic 0w20, meets Dexos1 Gen 2. Priced right and available nearly everywhere. Everything you need for warranty and protection and nothing you don't.

The only thing that would sway my decision away from that would be purchasing M1 or Pennzoil Synthetic with a rebate which would make it cheaper, especially since you only plan to need one oil change per year you could pretty much always take advantage of a mail in rebate from them.

Don't want to deal with the rebate? Just use ST from Walmart instead.

I use NAPA 0W20 synthetic in both of my Subaru vehicles. I buy lots of 6 Subaru oil filters on Amazon although I do not think they are anything special. The NAPA synthetic goes on sale a few times a year for $2.99 QT, sometimes the sale is QTs and sometimes its gallons.

Install a Fumoto valve and you will have one of the easiest oil changes I have come across in my 50 yrs of changing oil on my own cars. I do not use a ramp or jack stands. I suck in my belly and slide under the car. Have not gotten stuck yet.

Originally Posted by Donald

Install a Fumoto valve and you will have one of the easiest oil changes I have come across in my 50 yrs of changing oil on my own cars. I do not use a ramp or jack stands. I suck in my belly and slide under the car. Have not gotten stuck yet.

Just one question how does that Fumoto keep you from crawling under car?

M1 AFE 0W-20, although I wouldn't get too excited about hunting down the OEM filter, especially if it costs more than a good aftermarket like Fram orange can, TG or Ultra. OEM filters do the job, but typically have poor efficiency ratings across the board and high efficiency filters can be had for the same or less.

If it were me, I'd go high detergent PUP. I just bought two for the wife 5 qrt 26 bucks amazon. I know suburu is probably way past it's sludge days, but I like the idea of high detergent clean base oil like PUP anyhow.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by Donald

Just one question how does that Fumoto keep you from crawling under car?

I don't think he's saying that the Fumoto valve is keeping him from crawling under the car at all, how do you get that impression from his post? That's not what he's saying at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back