New Subaru Legacy Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased an O5 legacy with the turbocharged 2.5. Two questions:

1. IS there consensus on when to do first oil change?

2. How many miles of break in before switching to synthetic?

thank you
John

On my 2004 Impreza STI, I changed the Oil at 1000 miles to synthetic. Basically the same engine.

For the legacy I would change at 1000 Miles, with a good Dino, then go to synthetic at 3000 Miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Snowflaque:
I just purchased an O5 legacy with the turbocharged 2.5. Two questions:

1. IS there consensus on when to do first oil change?

2. How many miles of break in before switching to synthetic?

thank you
John

There is no consensus out there just opinions. Subaru recommends 3000 miles for the first oil change. Everyone will have a differing opinion. My personal plan on a brand new 2004 WRX is to change at 3000 miles to synthetic oil. Mobil 1 site has some info. that waiting for first synthetic oil change at a certain mileage (say 10k) is not necessary.

2003 Subaru 2.5 Liter N/A

1st change at 3250 used dealership 5W-30
2nd change at 5000, switched to synthetic

I thought the engine needed a long time to break in...and lots of acceleration / deacceleration to work the rings

I use the following OCI for break-in of all of my vehicles, including my WRX:

Oil/filter change at ~600 miles.
Oil/filter, transmission, differential change at 2000 miles.
Oil Change to synthetic at 5000 miles.

A Subaru will take a long time to fully break in. My WRX stabilized its oil consumption and wear metals in the 15K-20K range.

Ed

I see no reason to wait any longer than 1000 miles to switch to synthetic. I've done that on most of my cars. The exception might be Redline, as they recommend waiting for 3000 miles before switching to their oil.
Also, I think it's good advice to change the oil and filter at about 600 miles, as someone stated. Most of the wear-in will take place in the first 600 miles or so. I wouldn't even hesitate to switch to something like Mobil 1 at that time.
Did you get the sedan or wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back