New speakers in the daily driver (Pioneer) review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installed four of these yesterday in the dd. The old speakers sounded ok, but I knew there was highs I was missing (no, it's not due to age either lol).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TG6845R/Pioneer-TS-G6845R.html

First I did the rears and when I first turned them on they actually sounded worse then the fronts which were stock. I was only gonna do the rears before doing the fronts but decided to bite the bullet and do all four at once. Started at one pm and didn't finish until 630. I was tired but when I went to try them out with everything buttoned up they all sounded "meh" at best.

Then I read that the speakers need to be broken in first to sound best.
https://thestateofsound.net/2014/02/07/breaking-in-your-new-speakers/

Today on the commute to the office I was constantly adjusting the bass and treble. Didn't sound "right". The highs sounded like I had the treble turned to max, when I didn't. Bass seemed "tight" but far more accurate than the stock speakers were. I can see they are breaking in nicely. Can't wait to get some of my own music in there as opposed to listening to the radio.

Overall, for two sets of speakers I got for "free" (gift cards I got from points on the Amex) I'm amazed at the improvement!

I used to think the "premium" system on the BMW e30 was still superior after all these years. Now I can see it's showing it's age in comparison. Now I'm seriously considering doing an upgrade to the e30's speakers to a new set of components.

Always good to consider the amplification too. Clearly you are "up to speed" on what works and why, so I'm not going to go into all the reasons why a quality, highly capable amp is important. I'm fairly sure you already know this. But I did want to remind you of this.

It's also worth considering that many OEM and aftermarket head units alter the bass equalization as volume is raised, in an attempt at reducing distortion with the limited amplifier power. That is why an aftermarket amp, even if simply hooked to the speaker outputs, but with gain set appropriately, will sound so much better. As a volume setting of 5 now matches what used to be 10, and bass roll off is not in play.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I can see they are breaking in nicely.

Part of the break-in process includes your ears getting used to the sound of the speakers, too.
smile.gif

Particularly with such a driver, which will need a stiff spider just to survive in an infinite box alignment. I prefer to gently kneed before use.

Re: "missing highs and age". Yea, it probably is. Depends upon both genetics & your history to loud noise exposure. There is no free lunch...On-axis HF drivers would serve you much better.

"29kHz"?? lol.....

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Particularly with such a driver, which will need a stiff spider just to survive in an infinite box alignment. I prefer to gently kneed before use.

Re: "missing highs and age". Yea, it probably is. Depends upon both genetics & your history to loud noise exposure. There is no free lunch...On-axis HF drivers would serve you much better.

"29kHz"?? lol.....

My hearing is fine. Had a test done in a lab setting a few years ago. Have the sensitivity of a 19 year old
laugh.gif

about these on-axis HF drivers...what exactly is that?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

"29kHz"?? lol.....

My hearing is fine. Had a test done in a lab setting a few years ago. Have the sensitivity of a 19 year old
laugh.gif

about these on-axis HF drivers...what exactly is that?

That usually refers to separate tweeters mounted on the A-pillar directed directly at the driver. Does make a world of difference in treble clarity and soundstage.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
That usually refers to separate tweeters mounted on the A-pillar directed directly at the driver. Does make a world of difference in treble clarity and soundstage.
They also work well in the rear for both clarity and ambience effects. The sled has two on-axis Dynaudio dome tweeters in the D-pillars.

Run a 40hz test tone through them for a few hours, it loosens them up much quicker than listening to your own music over the course of time waiting for it to happen.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Part of the break-in process includes your ears getting used to the sound of the speakers, too.
smile.gif

Yes, compensation, accommodation and adaptation mechanisms of human brain are brilliant.
Let's say you get a high quality 30-year old speaker and set it up in your living room. You will go through the same 'break-in'.

And in most cases, in order to get the OEM quality of sound with aftermarket parts you need to start with $400+ budget no matter what you are upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back