New Spark Plugs in 2010 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at 97k miles on my Accord. Decided it was time for new plugs in my highway cruiser:
IMG_20160618_180847375.jpg

Changing the plugs was quite easy. Here's what the factory Denso's looked like after 96k:

IMG_20160930_182817597_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160930_183109162.jpg

IMG_20160930_183122116.jpg

IMG_20160930_213532.jpg

All 4 plugs were still pretty much gapped dead nuts at 0.044, which is factory spec.

I bought the factory spec'ed laser iridium NGK's off Amazon for $40, which was a good deal.

IMG_20160930_181248682.jpg

IMG_20160930_183256055.jpg

I'll change them out again at 200k miles next time.

Did the MM code come on to change them?

I'm surprised it uses such a cold heat range! I thought it would be a 5 (NGK) or 16 (Denso) (higher number means colder with NGK and Denso)

I just changed the plugs in my wife's Kia Rio at 75K miles. The iridium plugs looked perfectly worn, just nice and tan, and likewise were gapped at the .040 spec.

I swapped in the Champion copper plugs and will change them every 25-30K miles. I like changing plugs frequently for a number of reasons. They come out easy for one. But they also give you a good read on how your motor is running. You can tell a lot about what's going on in there just by looking at the plugs. And, I like changing plugs.

I prefer Autolite copper plugs but I couldn't find them for this car.

That one plug was leaking compression at the seal - it was ready for replacement.

That spot in the last pic is interesting. I read the arc location is on the corner or edge of the ground strap. Are the corners or edges worn/rounded off on the old plugs?

Changed mine at the 5 year mark with very low miles, like 80k KM's.

Didnt want to struggle with them on an old car, plan to have them as the final set of plugs for the car.

They looked brand new at that mileage, didn't need changing at all.

Got them for ~40 for a 4-pack.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I just changed the plugs in my wife's Kia Rio at 75K miles. The iridium plugs looked perfectly worn, just nice and tan, and likewise were gapped at the .040 spec.

I swapped in the Champion copper plugs and will change them every 25-30K miles. I like changing plugs frequently for a number of reasons. They come out easy for one. But they also give you a good read on how your motor is running. You can tell a lot about what's going on in there just by looking at the plugs. And, I like changing plugs.

Your lucky that they are easy to change. The Nissan I have you have to remove the intake. Basically a afternoon project with refreshment breaks instead of Valium. Dealer wants $400 plus parts. The latest addition to the fleet the Transit had Autolite Copper(tried to go cheap as had 179k miles) and it didn't like them very well so went back to Bosch Iridium

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
That one plug was leaking compression at the seal - it was ready for replacement.

Are you referring to the pic with the brown crud at the base of the porcelain? All the plugs look like that....

Originally Posted By: jorton
That spot in the last pic is interesting. I read the arc location is on the corner or edge of the ground strap. Are the corners or edges worn/rounded off on the old plugs?

It's not exactly centered. None of them were. The ground straps didn't appear rounded either.

Yea, my Ford vans can be difficult to change plugs in.

I rarely drove it but did think I noticed the Kia pinging once and a while. Just didn't drive it enough to really think about it. Then one hot summer commute with around 50K miles on it, my wife was driving it home and the thing started pinging so bad it tripped an error code for the knock sensor. I immediately switched to premium fuel and the pinging went away for the most part. Still had a little ping sometimes between 1800 and 2000 rpm under some load conditions. After I switched to the copper plugs that seems to be gone. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana

Your lucky that they are easy to change. The Nissan I have you have to remove the intake. Basically a afternoon project with refreshment breaks instead of Valium. Dealer wants $400 plus parts. The latest addition to the fleet the Transit had Autolite Copper(tried to go cheap as had 179k miles) and it didn't like them very well so went back to Bosch Iridium

I doubt it is worse than a 2010 Honda Fit.

Side trim, windshield wiper arms, cowl, wiper transmission (linkage) and motor, lower cowl, coil packs, and plugs.

Pita, ordered blue cowl clips e-bay was great, dealer wants 5$ per clip!!

Glad it's done, was worth it now I don't have to touch them again. Replaced the Denso with NGK. Engine seemed a bit peppier with the NGK, could be imagination thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back