New spare car key gets stuck when turning off in ignition

This typically happens when someone makes a copy of a copy... possibly of another copy.
Always keep one fresh original key in a safe place and use only that for making copies.

OK, If the cylinder is only 3 years old it may not be as worn as I thought. Do you know if they used an aftermarket cylinder or an OEM part.
Oem part from another car same as mine.

What choice do you have? You spent the money to get another key cut but you don’t want to use it?

Sorry. 🐟🐟🐟🐟
I know your right lol. I will try it tomorrow at a local mechanics, this way if it gets stuck they can know how to wigglie it out better then i would

blanks can come from different manufactures + from experience some can cause issues + of course if your key is on a ring with others the weight of it can cause issues over time!!

I gave my locksmith two new blanks off Amazon and he cut them. They wouldn’t work. He then measured the thickness of the blanks and they were a few hundredths off. Out of luck. Since I provided the blanks there was no recourse.
Hard to believe it couldn't be thinned down a bit on a wheel machine with the sanding wheel.

The tip of the new cut key is a bit thicker then my good old key. I think they need to buff the tip a little for me. I turns freely but has a habit of sticking when yohr pulling it out

might be cut a little "sharp" or your lock cylinder could be getting worn

Maybe the key just needs polished abit.

in any event taking it back to the locksmith seems the ideal solution.
Too the new key and told the guy to buff it a little. It still wants to stick when you take it out the ignition. Goes in fine, turns fine, just has a hard time coming out.
Maybe the blank is wrong i dont know. My original key has no problem

Too the new key and told the guy to buff it a little. It still wants to stick when you take it out the ignition. Goes in fine, turns fine, just has a hard time coming out.
Maybe the blank is wrong i dont know. My original key has no problem
Look at the key model number on the head and do a web search. Does it match up with your car model?

We changed the ignition lock so looking up the cars code is useless lol

Back