New spare car key gets stuck when turning off in ignition

Ok so today I took my only good key to a locksmith for him to cut me a new key to have as a backup. New key starts the car but when trying to turn car off it gets stuck right before the off position. Had to juggle it for 20 mins before it got out. My old original key does not do this. New key has same chip as old key. The car is a 1998 honda cr-v. Any ideas?

might be cut a little "sharp" or your lock cylinder could be getting worn

Maybe the key just needs polished abit.

in any event taking it back to the locksmith seems the ideal solution.

Did you compare to the old key? Was this a mechanical machine or computerized one he used? The computerized one is generally more accurate from my experience working next to a locksmith for a couple months. On those mechanical machines like I have you have to have the right amount of pressure and exactly the right key. What car is this again? It’s possible the blank has been discontinued and he had to use a similar one that may not be exactly the same that’s the issue with my truck is they discontinued the blanks long ago so none of the keys match.

Take it back, I am sure the cylinder is worn and the key is sharp. He can just buff it a bit more to break the sharp edges. No sense in your buffing it and have something happen, then your out the cost of the key.

Did you compare to the old key? Was this a mechanical machine or computerized one he used? The computerized one is generally more accurate from my experience working next to a locksmith for a couple months. On those mechanical machines like I have you have to have the right amount of pressure and exactly the right key. What car is this again? It’s possible the blank has been discontinued and he had to use a similar one that may not be exactly the same that’s the issue with my truck is they discontinued the blanks long ago so none of the keys match.
He used a mechanical machine . He did not use a honda blank he just used one similar. My car is a Honda crv 1998

might be cut a little "sharp" or your lock cylinder could be getting worn

Maybe the key just needs polished abit.

in any event taking it back to the locksmith seems the ideal solution.
Yes the key is very sharp

Take it back, I am sure the cylinder is worn and the key is sharp. He can just buff it a bit more to break the sharp edges. No sense in your buffing it and have something happen, then your out the cost of the key.
I'm thinking the new key is to sharp and maybe too thick because he did not use a honda blank

When you cut a key you have to give it a quick trip to the wire wheel after. The only time I don't have to is when I am building cylinders too, but even then I still do it out of habit. I build all the Ford 8 cut cylinders here and do all the decoding of the key codes on the older units, Ford only gives us key cut codes back 10 years to the assembly date.

When you cut a key you have to give it a quick trip to the wire wheel after. The only time I don't have to is when I am building cylinders too, but even then I still do it out of habit. I build all the Ford 8 cut cylinders here and do all the decoding of the key codes on the older units, Ford only gives us key cut codes back 10 years to the assembly date.
The spare key was made at a mom and pop hardware store . I have no idea what blade they used. The key looks very sharp and thick compared to my old key.

So, are we waiting for Godot here or will the key make it back to the locksmith or any hardware store where they can polish it ?

So, are we waiting for Godot here or will the key make it back to the locksmith or any hardware store where they can polish it ?
I will take it back and have them polish it and round out the edges some but iam still afraid to put that thing back in my ignition

Did you compare to the old key? Was this a mechanical machine or computerized one he used? The computerized one is generally more accurate from my experience working next to a locksmith for a couple months. On those mechanical machines like I have you have to have the right amount of pressure and exactly the right key. What car is this again? It’s possible the blank has been discontinued and he had to use a similar one that may not be exactly the same that’s the issue with my truck is they discontinued the blanks long ago so none of the keys match

Ok had another new key cut at the hardware store today. Iam too scared to try it. If it gets stuck in ignition I'm screwed

Does your car have keyed door locks. If so you can try it there first to see if it feels tight or sticky.
I cant do that because 3 years ago we changed the ignitiin lock so now the doors work with other keys. I still have not tried the key i got today im scared its gonna get jammed in there.

OK, If the cylinder is only 3 years old it may not be as worn as I thought. Do you know if they used an aftermarket cylinder or an OEM part.

What choice do you have? You spent the money to get another key cut but you don’t want to use it?

Sorry. 🐟🐟🐟🐟

Back