New Snapper mulcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I just unpacked and assembled it. Assembly was basically putting the push handle together and installing some linkages, but you had to use your imagination a bit. These are definitely intended to be dealer setup!

There appears to be a tiny bit of oil in the engine. None was included. Just your typical sticker stating to check the oil level prior to starting.

Had a real long day. I'm going to go over it again tomorrow before I fire it up for the first time.

It's got the tiniest oil filter I've ever seen.

I mail-ordered this unit late last week and delivered this afternoon (Wednesday).

016-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

012-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
At least it has an oil filter... but that has to be the smallest oil filter I have ever seen, its sure to show at least 5 years of service and GL with the lawn!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's nice! You need a red Baldwin filter for that setup. Won't a B1410 fit? Too bad we are not closer or we could have a cut off twixt yours and my Lawn Boy 22270.

That's nice!!!

How is the belt tension maintained on the one from the crankshaft?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you save via mailordering ? I would love a new Snapper, but the local dealers here are rediculous, to say the least. In fact, I am fairly sure that the local dealer sabotaged my 12 year old Honda when they found out that I might be interested in a new Snapper.

Thanks

That tiny bit of oil was probably the assembly lube to prevent a dry start.

Small oil filter for a small engine...not like you REALLY need a PH-8A on there...maybe, is there room?

Good looking mower...I don't regret buying a commercial unit (even used) over a new homeowner-grade machine.

Shipped to the door was $769. I basically saved 8.75% sales tax and any dealer setup, etc.

My dealers didn't have them in stock anyway. They did have a regular Ninja series or two, which is still a really nice mower, but it's in the $550-650 range.

Joel

Originally Posted By: TFB1
That's nice!!!

How is the belt tension maintained on the one from the crankshaft?

There is no tentioner pulley on this mod. It uses a 6sided belt.

O.P. That should be a beast in the thick stuff. Cant wait to here your review. BTW the oil that comes in the crankcase is assy lube. You DO need to add 18oz.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Shipped to the door was $769.

Umm looks like they've gone up $300 in the last 20 years... Last time I looked at a new Snapper was when my orig was suffering from a tired engine, new one was $469(though I don't believe it was a commercial model)... That was around 1990...

TFB1, the only tensioner is on the belt that goes from the shaft of the driven disk to the input pulley on the differential. Like 660 says, the belt that goes from the crankshaft to the metal drive disk is live all the time. There's probably a manual tension adjustment on it.

I'm just waitin' for the grass to dry out some before I fire her up for the first time. Just got back from a frustrating visit to BLowes for another headache (plumbing). Gotta wait for the headache to calm down some.

Like said, you can get the non-commercial version of this mower shipped to your door for ~$559 (pictured below). I do have some regret with not going with the Kawasaki engine for another ~$40. It was tough enough spending the $769.

7800602_Ninja_RP217020_003.ashx.jpg

Joel

On your forth picture you can see the axle bearings. When these one day wear out replace them with bearings from Oregon, part number 45208. These are a machined steel race bearing with a hardened steel circle clip for the bevel, rather than a rolled tin bearing. They are 10x tougher.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Oil changes should be fun. The oil in the filter will run all over the deck.
Neat.
Didn't know Honda used filters on such small engines.

It's a Briggs and Stratton.

Thx for the tip on the bearings 660.

Yep, with Briggs owning the Snapper brand, I'm surprised you can get Honda GX or Kawasaki engine on some of the models. I bet it won't be for long. I have a suspicion the Kawasaki powered Ninja commercial model like mine is last year's model. The paperwork and labeling says mine was built Feb 2011 @ 750 East Highway 77, Newbern TN 38059. The Briggs 850 series engine is also from Feb 2011.

It was packed pretty well, only with some paint rubbed off the deck on the right side from chaffing against the box. There is some weld spatter that got painted over on the deck by one of the brackets, but that's today's QC.

My darling bride was home when it got delivered. Dude lowered it off the truck on a pallet and rolled it up the driveway and into the garage for me on a cart. You can just make out the box & pallet in my last pic above.

Last edited:
Well I'll try not to run either of my old Snappers through the fence while daydreaming about yours, it's so nice I'd probably wax it... LOL

I have the same model, with a Kawasaki 150 engine. It's about 13 or so years old now. I love it. However, I will say that the Kawasaki, while very smooth, is not the most torquey engine. It struggles spinning that Ninja blade in tall Bahiagrass. But, the cut is perfect, neat and complete.

I've changed the rubber drive "tire" or "ring" or what ever that is called once in all that time. It's now almost time to do it again. The tire starts wearing out of round and the shaft vibrates and the spring shakes. That's how I determine when it's time to change the ring.

Mine has an idler pulley on the drive belt.

Last edited:
Nice! Please post back how it cuts compared to your Honda. The Honda I have has the same motor as your's so I'm curious how it measures up to the Snapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back