New Shooting Range in town

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
I've noticed that there are starting to be some upscale (clean, new, professional) shooting ranges in various parts of the country and one just opened in my current town of Virginia Beach.

They've got 4 bays of shooting lanes. What's nice about the place is the layout: big, open, carpeted, well-lit in the showroom and the shooting bays have electronically controlled targets, which can be programmed to face/turn, bulletproof glass between bays, great ventilation, climate control, and best of all, a Range Safety Officer whenever someone is shooting.

Most of the ranges in town are small, poorly lit and ventilated, concrete floors, and not as supervised as they should be. That layout and price point seems to attract the Mall Ninjas...and it isn't always a pleasant shooting experience.

The price per visit is $20/lane, which is higher than the rest, but a membership allows you to reserve a lane (no showing up, seeing all the other folks and standing around for a few hours). My wife and I signed up for a year, paid in advance. Just the ability to reserve a lane is worth it to us; both busy folks who don't have time to stand around hoping to get a lane, but the whole atmosphere and experience is really nice.

I wonder if this is a trend? Better atmosphere = better clientele and a better experience?

http://www.colonialshooting.com/vab/

It is nice to see they have RSOs on duty. I am an RSO and I get freaked out when I am at a range going shooting and the person that is supposed to be on duty is busy texting or playing Angry Birds.

I think the changes in gun ownership and shooting with women is what drives the design of the new ranges over the utilitarian types of the past. They like form over function, altho this range may have both.

Well, that does look nice. Do they have an indoor rifle range, or is it handgun only?

I've got a piece of property that I need to redevelop and an indoor range is one of the possible uses I'm considering for it (well, actually, my wife is the one that is heck bent on doing it, the numbers really don't look good to me, so it may well be that women are one of the big drivers in this surge in interest in firearms and shooting). The closest one is about 75 miles away, and the owner tells me it is profitable. It is not upscale, to put it mildly.

I like to build things upscale, but the hard reality is that, as I've learned over and over, people around here can't, or are not willing to, pay extra for a nicer establishment, but women seem to like things that way, or care more about it, than men.

I hate to think what it cost to build and keep the doors open at that facility. I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't already own the property.

$20/ lane for how long?

We have a very nice new indoor range in my town and it's $20/lane/30 minutes.
frown.gif

I'm glad they opened it, but for the price for a single hour, I can buy a year membership to the outdoor clubs.

I've never been to a place with some type of range officer. My local gun store has an indoor range, $7 for 30 minutes or $12 an hour. They of course have targets and ammo for sale as well and a huge list of guns you can rent. I usually go on week days in the morning right at opening and have the place to myself. Trying to get in on the weekends usually results in a wait.
Only rules I see posted are no rapid fire and to clean up after yourself. I try to pick up the empties every few mags. It doesn't need to be spotless they just don't want a mountain of spent cases piled up everywhere.

$20/lane for an hour. Good up to .50 in handguns, .30 in rifles. 25 yds.

The whole experience is so much cleaner and nicer than the competition. Took my wife and daughter shooting there last Sunday. They really liked it. I reckon that if I shoot there eight times over the year, using two lanes, the membership will have paid for itself.

Now, I just have to supply the ammo, which, fortunately, has come down in price.

I guess it goes to show how little I get out... I'm a member of a local range- 60.00/year gets you unlimited time 7 days a week until 8:30pm. The downside is it's outside, so you're at the mercy of the weather (some of the stations are covered) , there is no on site vending of any kind and the bathroom is an outhouse. The upside is on a "busy" day, there might be 6 people in attendance. Many times I'll have the run of the 7,10,25,50 and 100 yard ranges.

Back on topic, it's good to hear that you're pleased and aim to spend some time there with your wife. That right there is worth much more than you paid.

There's a nice range in Jacksonville, FL, where my parents have moved, called On Target Sports. We haven't yet been there, but it looks very nice.

http://www.otsrange.com/

They're building a brand new state of the art indoor range up in Raleigh next year. I do think that folks are demanding better indoor ranges, which is a good thing. I went shooting at a local gun shop that has an indoor range and it's the stereotypical "old school" indoor range...dark, smoky, smelly, devoid of a RSO. Just generally unpleasant. $12/hr. Not worth it to me. We go shooting on friends' land which, fortunately, is abundant around here.

Originally Posted By: Win
Well, that does look nice. Do they have an indoor rifle range, or is it handgun only?

I've got a piece of property that I need to redevelop and an indoor range is one of the possible uses I'm considering for it (well, actually, my wife is the one that is heck bent on doing it, the numbers really don't look good to me, so it may well be that women are one of the big drivers in this surge in interest in firearms and shooting). The closest one is about 75 miles away, and the owner tells me it is profitable. It is not upscale, to put it mildly.

I like to build things upscale, but the hard reality is that, as I've learned over and over, people around here can't, or are not willing to, pay extra for a nicer establishment, but women seem to like things that way, or care more about it, than men.

I hate to think what it cost to build and keep the doors open at that facility. I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't already own the property.

Upscale is a relative term. Inexpensive industrial carpeting will last a long time and give your establishment the cachet you're looking for. If you like, check out Targetmaster in Chadds Ford, Pa. Wife won't shoot anywhere else, and an annual membership is $250 for a couple. No reservations, but as many times as we wish, use of a nicely furnished waiting room, and a reduced rate for guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back