New Shoes For The Tacoma!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since I've had the Tacoma I've been a little bit disappointed in how the old wheels looked. They were corroded, nasty, and wouldn't clean up. I seen several pictures of second gens with third gen wheels and have been on the lookout for a set. Found a guy about an hour drive away that was selling a set of wheels and tires from a 2019 TRD with only 5K miles. Somehow the TPMS system recognized the new set, but I have a feeling the previous owner did the bypass mod. Doesn't bother me as I check everything once a week. Pretty please with the outcome!

Old wheels for reference:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And here's an example of how bad the old wheels were getting. Corroded and chipping.

Installed pictures! Spent a good time powerwashing the frame, body, and wheels. Cleans up ok for an almost 11 year old truck in the rust belt.

Thanks fellas!

I'm getting the suspension from the same low mileage truck soon, hope to install this Spring. The old Bilsteins are original so it's due. Gonna ride like a new truck once I get done!

Looks good. My favorite appearance mod is different OEM wheels from another gen or different sister brand. You get a unique look that isn't as "look at me" as aftermarket wheels can be.
thumbsup2.gif
Like button.

I put 2005 Armada wheels on the 2018 Titan.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by CT Rob
Save the old rims and use for the winter,The salt will ruin those nice news ones in no time

Probably a good idea. A set of snow tires and 4wd would be a good combo. I'd still refinish the wheels, the peeling paint just bothers me...

Edit: I did find out the TPMS is indeed bypassed (just a matter of how). The guy who sold me the wheels said the tire shop took the sensors out and replaced them with regular rubber. No biggie to me and still passes inspection.

Last edited:
I have the same truck, but mine is the PreRunner. Same wheels as your originals.

I'd like to eventually have these painted or powder coated in a dark gray or tungsten finish.

AD356BB9-03A6-4B40-B32E-F8AD918A7706.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back