New Scion (toyota) tC recommends 5w30. GC 0w30 or Penzoil 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i

I hardly ever drive my tC (I beat up my volvo in this nasty city (new orleans) instead), so I'll probably have to change the oil at 6 months instead of 5,000 miles. If I don't get to 5,000, I'll stay with 5W30dino in it until 5,000, whatever the dealer puts in there. (I get 3 free oil changes at the dealer).

But after the 5000 mile point, I'm going full synth, and since GC is 0w30 I'm a little hesitant to throw it in there until the engine warranty runs out. The manual says 5w30 for all conditions. (Yes, I know about MM act, but I would rather not try to argue it with some idiot dealer should something go wrong).

So, the next best I can come up with seems to be PP, as they make the recommended 5w30 forumulation.

Would you do it, or would you just say "the heck with the mfr recommendation!" and toss the GC in there anyway?

I typically run my cars out to 200,000 miles, and expect to do that with this toyota motor too. Yes, I know that dino would be able to do that also, but the thing is I'd like the motor to be in as good shape at 250,000 miles as it is today, i.e., brand new inside. So I'm looking for the ULTIMATE protection, not just something that will nurse the engine along for the life of the car.

quote:

Originally posted by i:
since GC is 0w30 I'm a little hesitant to throw it in there until the engine warranty runs out. The manual says 5w30 for all conditions. (Yes, I know about MM act, but I would rather not try to argue it with some idiot dealer should something go wrong).

I think you're being overly cautious.
A possibility of a dealer arguing over 5w30 vs 0w30 is virtually non-existent.

I had a Kreagan? Auto Parts guy tell me that my car wouldn't be able to handle 0w30. "It was only for the big muscle cars."

I think dealers know a bit more... at least I hope
tongue.gif

The best way to get your cars to 200,000 miles is to use a good synthetic (PP, GC, Mobil, Amsoil) and run a short OCI (oil change interval). Your engine will be sparkly clean, run good, and last a good while. UOAs can help you determine how long to go on an oil change as well.

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration engine defects, car crashes, and abuse
grin.gif

I'm using M1 and OEM (p/n 90915-YZZF1) in my tC.
I will do 3k-5k OCIs.
I wondered about going to 10w40, but I don't think there's any reason to. It gets really hot here in LA, but I think 5w30 will be good.

Scott

Use what they require. Keep the receipts, date & mileage records. When the warranty expires, switch to GC.

The only other way around it is to bring a quart of GC to the dealer & ask for their approval. If they agree, get their approval in writing.

I really think you are fine using the 0W-30; you are actually putting in a more protective oil then if you used many 5W-30s on the market.

I am just a little worried about actually having to have the engine replaced under warranty, as there have been a few instances (seemingly isolated) of the Toyota engine destroying connecting rod bearings, probably due to an assembly problem at the plant:

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91056&highlight=tapping

Now I very much doubt my particular brand new motor will have these problems, but that thread still worries me.

If I had never read that, I would never have had any hesitations whatsoever about going to GC. But there is a small possibility my engine could also have the defect and require replacement within the warranty period (5 years, 36k miles).

If it makes you feel better I used Penzoil 5w30 dino in my car for 6,000 miles and then switched to Mobil 1 with dealer's approval.

Later, at 29,000 miles (still warranty left, I know) - I switched to GC because I found BITOG.

Now at 36,000 miles I'm still using GC with no problems in my 2.2L Ecotec
tongue.gif

This is a non-issue, just being on this board puts you in elite company of the top 1% of people that care about the maintenance of thier car and will most likely maintain it properly (which goes well beyond just oil changes of course).

On the street, you could use pratically any multi-weight oil made with reasonable oil change intervals and you are not going to have a problem with your car's con rod bearings during the warranty period (or anytime thereafter quite frankly).

Use whatever decent oil you want and don't worry about issues with the warranty. Now, if you want to debate what you think is best for your car and your specific conditions, have at it. But worrying about potential warranty claims is really quite silly with respect to oil selection. Debating between synthetic 5W30 and synthetic 0W30 is akin to worrying about Shell 87 octane or BP Amoco 87 octane.

Regards,

Rich

quote:

Debating between synthetic 5W30 and synthetic 0W30 is akin to worrying about Shell 87 octane or BP Amoco 87 octane.

That's a good comparison, Rich!

Your warranty mainly specifies the viscosity to use, not any particullar brand. So then if your manual states to use 5W-30, then go with Pennz Platinum. It could very well be the world's second best oil anyway.
tongue.gif

Oh boy! Let me slide in right behind GoldenRod and recommend Mobil-1 5w-30 for your car (
tongue.gif
wink.gif
). I'd suggest that you survey the UOAs, looking for Toyota engines fed Mobil-1. M1 is not the solution for every engine, but it seems to be at its best in the Toyotas. Before moving to GC myself, I used the then-current M1 in a 2AZ-FE 4 cyl, a 1MZ-FE V-6, and a 2UZ-FE V-8, with outstanding results in each. I have several UOAs posted here. Check out mine and the others. Fortunately for you, you choice is not between "bad and good." You're like a kid in Baskin-Robbins struggling to decide -- chocolate - strawberry - chocolate - strawberry. Just decide, drive, and don't worry.
cheers.gif

Unfortunately I'm one of the chief M1 "haters" here on the board. I think I've made my decision, It's going to be PP 5w30 and a Toyota filter. GC stays in the old Volvo though.

quote:

the warranty period (5 years, 36k miles).

I think your warrenty is 5 years or 60,000 miles!

All Scions and Toyotas have that as their Powertrain warrenty. Everything else is 3 yr 36k miles.

Please check and make sure!
cheers.gif

I just did a 5k UOA on Pennzoil and it was perfect . The oil did shear but no big deal. The oil I drained was clean and I know my engine will be clean at 300k when it gets there.

I put alot of miles on so I will see sooner than later!
rolleyes.gif

My 1986 VW Jetta is clean and running strong at 270k miles and all it's seen is dino oil and until 4 years ago Fram filters.

With todays oils, I know it will be easier to make your engine get to the 200k mark.

my 3 cents.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back