New scan tool

That looks decent.

I've been using a USB adapter and my laptop running Forscan (for Ford) and another app (Can't remember the name for other brands) that cost $20 a year. They work well and seem faster than the cheap scanners.

Looks like good quality, and if it sucks easy return refund.

I plan on using Forescan also, just haven't had an issue yet.

That looks decent.

I've been using a USB adapter and my laptop running Forscan (for Ford) and another app (Can't remember the name for other brands) that cost $20 a year. They work well and seem faster than the cheap scanners.

I have cheap ebay special elm and veepek with car scanner pro that I have been using for years. I just wanted ABS data with transmission relearn. On elm I could get all codes and clear but live data was missing on certain vehicles. Hopefully this will fill the gap.

What am I missing here? If I had $200 Amazon gift card, I can get it for $0 too
It's a new tool for me with 40 out of my pocket. I need to do trans relearn after service so I was looking for a scanner that could do this at a reasonable price. Amazon was offering 150 dollar gift card and I am cheap. I was looking for awhile and this was on sale as originally it was 199

I did NOT realize that it was $40 out of your pocket. That is an outrageous deal!! I am just trying to understand the exact deal e.g. sign up for Amazon credit card and you get $150 in Amazon gift card etc.

I did NOT realize that it was $40 out of your pocket. That is an outrageous deal!! I am just trying to understand the exact deal e.g. sign up for Amazon credit card and you get $150 in Amazon gift card etc.
That is correct. Apply for the card get 150.

"choose 3 services (aka reset light) for free; $30 per year to add one more reset light"

Insane pricing :-(

"choose 3 services (aka reset light) for free; $30 per year to add one more reset light"

Insane pricing :-(
I would probably never use the services so I picked 3 I might use. If I ever needed the service I would pay the 30.00 and not renew. This is my personal scanner.

Quick review. I does everything a 5k scanner would do with the exception of bidirectional. I get all the sensors in body and readings on the sensor. I did a health report on Caravan to see what it scans and it scanned every module including taillights. So far it's very fast.

Thank you for the followups. Your first post was lacking in detail-- what car will you be using it on, what separates it from the competition, what makes you excited about it, what can others expect to pay, etc.

Thank you for the followups. Your first post was lacking in detail-- what car will you be using it on, what separates it from the competition, what makes you excited about it, what can others expect to pay, etc.
I will be using it on 2012 Impala, 2018 Caravan, 2012 Altima and a Saturn Ion. Problem I was having was Bluetooth scanner didn't give individual wheel speed when trying to fix abs codes or transmission data but I could read and clear just not enough data. I seen it on sale for 179.00.

If it fits your needs, that's all the matters. I require full bidirectional capabilities so I am stuck using the high end equipment.

If it fits your needs, that's all the matters. I require full bidirectional capabilities so I am stuck using the high end equipment.
The ThinkDiag from ThinkCar is full bidirectional; it can do most of the tricks of a $3,000 tool except for stuff that absolutely requires a J-box like firmware updates. It'll do bidirectional actuation tests, settings, variant coding. Currently on sale from the manufacturer's US arm for $84, which includes all functions for one make of car for one year.

You do have to pay an annual software update/license fee for the enhanced/bidirectional software. (Basic OBDII always works.) The pricing is much more favorable than the "full pro" tools:

• You can get all functions for one manufacturer's line of vehicles for $39.95/year per manufacturer;
  • You can get one function for all manufacturers for $49.95/year per function (that is, you can unlock, say, ABS module diagnostics and tests for all brands if you just do brake jobs);
  • You can mix and match the above; or
  • ThinkCar almost always offers a deal to unlock everything for about $140/yr.
Dirt cheap compared to the annual fees for a $3,000 tool.

ThinkDiag uses your iOS or Android phone or tablet as the interface, and the user interface is pretty similar to Launch tools.

Is it as good as a Launch, an Autel, or a more expensive ThinkCar tool? No, but for a DIYer you can't beat the bargain. You get as much of the high-end functionality as you're likely to need (and be safe using), at a vastly lower price.

The ThinkDiag from ThinkCar is full bidirectional; it can do most of the tricks of a $3,000 tool except for stuff that absolutely requires a J-box like firmware updates. It'll do bidirectional actuation tests, settings, variant coding. Currently on sale from the manufacturer's US arm for $84, which includes all functions for one make of car for one year.

You do have to pay an annual software update/license fee for the enhanced/bidirectional software. (Basic OBDII always works.) The pricing is much more favorable than the "full pro" tools:

• You can get all functions for one manufacturer's line of vehicles for $39.95/year per manufacturer;
  • You can get one function for all manufacturers for $49.95/year per function (that is, you can unlock, say, ABS module diagnostics and tests for all brands if you just do brake jobs);
  • You can mix and match the above; or
  • ThinkCar almost always offers a deal to unlock everything for about $140/yr.
Dirt cheap compared to the annual fees for a $3,000 tool.

ThinkDiag uses your iOS or Android phone or tablet as the interface, and the user interface is pretty similar to Launch tools.

Is it as good as a Launch, an Autel, or a more expensive ThinkCar tool? No, but for a DIYer you can't beat the bargain. You get as much of the high-end functionality as you're likely to need (and be safe using), at a vastly lower price.
All excellent points except - the pro tool has all the functions for all makes all the time so even if you don't do a yearly update you still have all the functions. But for a home user I can see your point and that is a very cost effective option. Now to add another variable - you can by an Innova (or the Harbor Freight version) scan tool that reads ALL modules and does a lot of bi-directional for under $400 and have all makes/models covered and no extra costs. I have one and it's my go to tool unless I need to pull the pro tools out but 90% it does all I need.

Back