New S60 for driving a million miles in a 740

Recently I came across this article of an owner being rewarded with a new S60 to replace his 740.
After reading the article, it appears that the owner is only getting the S60 for two years as mentioned below:
"The black midsize sedan is a long-term loaner car as Jim O'Shea will get to drive it for two years, with everything from maintenance and insurance covered. It’s technically a 24-month Care by Volvo all-inclusive subscription plan, and while it’s not a permanent gift, it is a nice gesture from the automaker and an efficient marketing move."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/new...ut-there-s-a-catch/ar-AATOQay?ocid=entnewsntp

2 years with a new car sounds great, but considering it's only 2 years, I'd be kinda miffed.
:cautious:

I had an '86 740 Turbo with a 4 speed+OD transmission. I bought it new. It was a fine car. The seats were especially comfortable.

I kept mine for 18 1/2 years and 285,000 Km. There was a bit of rust developing in a couple of places. I drove the car for much of its life in Edmonton where they use rock chips for winter traction, and for 6 years in Winnipeg where they use salt on the roads. That was a bad combination.

The engine used a bit of oil from day 1 but that never increased. Considering the oil cooled turbo and the indifferent oils of the time, I changed the oil a lot (every 3 months) and the turbo was original and still fine when I sold it. It's the only car I've ever owned that I couldn't change the oil on. The turbo (hot!) was above the filter and a motor mount was below it. I couldn't even see it. They moved the filter the next model year.

One of the secrets to keeping any car that long is good after market service. I had it serviced by a terrific shop in Edmonton. The owner (Mark) had all sorts of Volvo certifications and could do any required repair (eg rebuild the OD).

The weakest part of the car was the exhaust system. It broke off/fell off two or three times - and always on trips. The mufflers had a lifetime warranty and eventually I got to collect on it, getting a one piece (and I assume better) exhaust. I even carried stiff wire and pliers in the glove compartment to be able to sling up the exhaust "the next time".

Only a 2-year lease on a Chinese car most likely inferior to the million-mile original :sneaky:

The old odometers roll over to zero after 999999, but most modern digital odometers stop at 999999 and don't roll over :oops:

Recently I came across this article of an owner being rewarded with a new S60 to replace his 740.

2 years with a new car sounds great, but considering it's only 2 years, I'd be kinda miffed.
:cautious:
I read it last week and thought it was cheap of the dealer.
Wow really? 2 years of basically free driving besides fuel in a brand new Volvo for just driving an old 740 until it had 1 million miles is not good enough?

:ROFLMAO:

On further consideration, that 740 GLE looks a lot like a 740 Turbo. They came in 6 colours in ('86 anyway) including silver. So the colour is right, and it has 5 spoke wheels and blacked out trim (which were exclusive to the Turbo models, in '86 anyway).

Or maybe Volvo just realized 740s looked a lot better that way.

The 740s were terrific cars. The styling was fashion forward originally though eventually they started to look a bit quaint. So if I were buying an old Volvo today I'd look for a 2 series. It's an older design but has a more classic Volvo appearance.

With these 1,000,000-mile cars....I've done the math at these guys are in their cars all the time, even assuming highway speeds.

apart for the work vehicles, that is some special form of OCD that deserves more than a 2-year rental.

Closest I've come to is 298k miles in 11 years in a CRV.

With these 1,000,000-mile cars....I've done the math at these guys are in their cars all the time, even assuming highway speeds.
My 740 had the most comfortable vehicle seats (and quite possibly the most comfortable seats) I've ever sat in. So he picked a good vehicle for the 1,000,000 mile "torture test".

The dealer even had some of these seats set up as lounge chairs in their waiting area. Don't know if that was a factory offer or a home grown special.

I’ve wanted to source Volvo seats and do the same with them for kicks, however I’m married and nothing gets past her. I’ve had 3 Gen1 s60s and no other vehicle has had such good seats regardless of age, none. They look so simple yet they do their job well.

I’ve wanted to source Volvo seats and do the same with them for kicks, however I’m married and nothing gets past her. I’ve had 3 Gen1 s60s and no other vehicle has had such good seats regardless of age, none. They look so simple yet they do their job well.
These "lounge chair" Volvo seats were so well done they would look great anywhere.

It seems to me they were done in 740 turbo colours, black leather back and sides with black and white (small check) velour center inserts.

I leased a 740 Turbo for my wife back in 1991; it was a lot of fun- I caught more than a few people by surprise at the Stoplight Grand Prix. It acted like it had a high stall torque converter, reminding me of my misspent street racing youth. Just hold the brakes, floor it, get off the brakes at 2,000 rpm and it was smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

Back