"New" (Ruger) Marlin .45-70

I had a feeling there would be a price hike when Ruger took over Marlin. But $2,700.00 for a Stainless .45-70 Carbine??

I bought this ported JM Guide Gun in .45-70 for $460.00 before the "Remlin" takeover.

ujFFg7q.jpg

We've gone to hell with these prices. I remember when these marlins would cost under $500 too. Regret not buying one before and putting it off till later.

We've gone to hell with these prices. I remember when these marlins would cost under $500 too. Regret not buying one before and putting it off till later.
I agree. This is one of the last JM stamped Marlin Golden 39-A's. I bought it at a local gun shop in Phoenix in early 1999 IIRC. I gave list price for it at the time, because they were the only gun shop in town that had a new one in stock. I paid $405.00 for it.

After it was no longer a production .22, "Remlin" made it a Special Order for right around $1,500.00. If Ruger decides to produce them, get ready to take out a second mortgage on your house.

4FYYcY8.jpg

That price is absurd. Glad I've had my Marlin's for decades. I was lucky to get a lifetime supply of brass for my 450 Marlin Guide.

Here is a short video of one of the "new" Marlin 39-A's that were produced shortly after the Remington / Cerberus Capital Management takeover. The build quality was just awful. It's hard to believe they would let a gun like that get out the door.

I bought a Marlin .45-70 with the JM stamp back in the mid 80's. It was the Cowboy Model with the octagonal barrel. It was the single most accurate rifle I ever owned and could fire three rounds at 100 yards into paper where the holes made touched each other. I took a black bear up in Quebec province, a wild boar and a red stag with that gun. Hit 'em and they dropped.

The marlingtons were mostly awful.

Remington should know better the way they transferred work between the two companies.
Thats what happens when you think you dont need the old school guys that knew how everything should work and how to do it.

2600 may well be worth it to get what a Marlin used to be.

You can always steal this Stainless Trapper in .45-70 for only $1,700.00

Right? I see people selling 336s now that they spent just over $400 at Walmart for $1000 or more... I just laugh.
I've got a Marlin 336T that I bought on sale for $89 in 1977. The stock is very nice walnut.

It should be known that this is not Ruger setting the price. The MSRP on that rifle is $1,399.00 so normally you should expect a slight discount.

This is supply & demand BS.

Always wanted one of those short barrel 45-70 guide gun rifles. Could never justify it. Too expensive a round to shoot for fun. After Temington took over I was on the fence and looked at one in a shop. Way too poorly finished. I remember being disappointed over the wood.

At this point I’d consider a classic 39a… maybe a new one to support Ruger, but not at those prices!

I had a pre '72 Marlin , '68 I think, in .444 Marlin. Essentially, the 336 model, I think. The early ones had a raised cheek on the buttstock. That thing was shocking accurate, at least out to 100 yds. That was with blunt nose tube magazine cartridges. I used a small 1x4 Leupold on it. A cousin also had the same model. His rifle was equally accurate. The build and finish quality were really good back then. I had bought it with the thought that I may someday go after bigger game than a whitetail deer, but mostly only carried it on some unsuccessful bear hunts. I did take one deer with it. Wish I still had it.

The earlier 444 models had a slow rifling twist rate, so you were mostly stuck with 240 gr. bullets. I did use some slightly heavier 265 gr. Hornady lt. magnums with equal results. Supposedly, the thinking at the time was that the .444 cartridge would give the guys who didn't handload an equal to a hot loaded 45-70 in lighter bullets. I also used to shoot an old trapdoor Springfield in 45-70. It took a while for the black powder equivalent load bullets to get to the target.

I agree. This is one of the last JM stamped Marlin Golden 39-A's. I bought it at a local gun shop in Phoenix in early 1999 IIRC. I gave list price for it at the time, because they were the only gun shop in town that had a new one in stock. I paid $405.00 for it.

After it was no longer a production .22, "Remlin" made it a Special Order for right around $1,500.00. If Ruger decides to produce them, get ready to take out a second mortgage on your house.

4FYYcY8.jpg
I'll stick with my 39-A built in 1957. Only owned it for the last two years and got it for $500. Outstanding condition~!!

Back