New rotors and pads squealing?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put new front Auto Zone rotors and pads on last Sunday, just the cheap Duralast ones. I can stop fine but I just noticed tonight that when the brakes are applied hard it squeals what seems like on from the drivers side. I did use some of the "brake grease" you can buy at the check out..but not a lot..and I did not replace the shims but I did clean them a bit. Help!!!

Do you mean you did not replace the anti rattle clips with new ones? Or you just didn't put them back in?
If the pads are moving around at all that could explain some noises.

I remove the backing plates and use a good smear of copper grease on all the contact points between pad/calipers/brackets/slider pins, and they don't squeal at all. Ever.

Unfortunately with brakes and most things in life you usually get what you pay for. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but that was a lesson I learned at a very young age.

I would try replacing the anti rattle clips, clean everything up real good and try applying one of the anti-squeal sprays to the backs of the pads. Hopefully that works for you.

Did not replace the anti rattle clips with new ones, they didnt have any in stock. Like I said I did use some of the grease but not a lot, could this be caused if I didn't put back pad with the metal sensor on right, I mean maybe a right car side brake pad on the left causing the metal piece to be on the bottom or top if that matters?

Originally Posted By: zeke1985
Did not replace the anti rattle clips with new ones, they didnt have any in stock. Like I said I did use some of the grease but not a lot, could this be caused if I didn't put back pad with the metal sensor on right, I mean maybe a right car side brake pad on the left causing the metal piece to be on the bottom or top if that matters?

It could matter, I would want to be sure everything is in its proper place. Then reassemble with new clips and a good anti-squeal product. But in the end sometimes cheap brakes make noise no matter what you do.

I always do a brake job by the book.

It helps to use anti squeal spray UNDER your anti-rattle clips, as well as ON TOP where it contacts the piston.

I use that black brake grease usually. I put a smear under the clips and snap them onto the pad, then put some on the piston area on the clip.

Also, I use a wire brush on the hub or a die grinder with a wire brush wheel, then clean it up better with a wire brush.

Then I PAINT the hub face between all the lug studs with a thin coat of anti-seize so rust doesn't pack up under the hub giving you runout issues. Also makes taking the disc off easier for the next brake job.

If I absolutely do a brake job by the book, use moly grease, silicone grease, and anti-squeal sprays or liquid if I have it all in the appropriate places, and things should be ok.

If there is a small squeal and I did my part and did a good job, I just let it squeal and am happy to know it is the cheap components if that is what the client or friend is using.

Right now, my OEM Akebono pads on my Fit have started to squeal. I took off the wheels and was sure I had enough pad left until the Spring, so I don't really care.

It gives you a chance to start shopping around for the best components for the sale prices, that is the biggest key to pulling off a perfect brake job.

My next brake job will be Certified CT rotors with Bendix pads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Unfortunately with brakes and most things in life you usually get what you pay for. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but that was a lesson I learned at a very young age.

I would try replacing the anti rattle clips, clean everything up real good and try applying one of the anti-squeal sprays to the backs of the pads. Hopefully that works for you.

Yes, this last part is important!
Where demarpaint says: "try applying one of the aiti-squeal sprays to the backs of the pads"!

I usually apply the brake grease to the backs of the pads. Prematex is good choice in either the Green lube(Green Label) or the Black Lube(Red Label). Here's a link to what I am speaking of:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_9gv30j2lud_e

Most autoparts stores carry one or the the other.

Last edited:
When you buy pads make sure they come with hardware.That alone could save you $10-15 over having to buy them separately.

I find Bendix stuff has the highest chance of coming with the "Abutment Clips" and is also known as a "good quality pad".

Be aware Bendix is mostly made in China now if you are wondering, I just found that out myself recently.

I always thought Bendix was made in the U.S. and Canada.

You'll sometimes get squeal no matter what you do.
I'd bet that it'll go away after some miles.

Some pads have a bedding in process..some like Eddie mention to do some 60-5mph stops and other pads just specify to not do any hard braking while they are new. Give it some time..and id suggest go easy on braking the first few thousand if nothing was specified.

I heard Honeywell got sold and Bendix is once again in a holding pattern.
Bendix has a good pad, but not really worth the money since Wagner or Centric's are more affordable and offer a higher temp rating anyway.

And, if you can't get rid of the noise/squeal after inspecting your work or applying anti-squeal spray or applying a brake lube as has been suggested, try another brand or ceramic.

I went to ceramic for personal reasons. One reason was to eliminate the noised related to other friction materials that caused me grief. But, this is me! Now, I'm happy!

Sad truth is if the clips are loose the pad can move around in between braking events.

Expect noises.

Good pads usually come with necessary hardware...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
When you buy pads make sure they come with hardware.That alone could save you $10-15 over having to buy them separately.

frown.gif

Hmmmm! I have purchased many premium brake pads from, Akebono, Bendix, Raybestos, Centric, Satisfied etc., and have never received any hardware in any of them or any of my vehicles. Maybe a little packet of slider lube but, that's it!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

frown.gif

Hmmmm! I have purchased many premium brake pads from, Akebono, Bendix, Raybestos, Centric, Satisfied etc., and have never received any hardware in any of them or any of my vehicles. Maybe a little packet of slider lube but, that's it!

I just did a brake job on a KIA Sportage for a friend and the hardware was in the box. It caught me off guard, since I've never seen it that way before. My problem is I don't remember the brand he bought.

Wife's car seems to have decided to start making noises recently while braking. I know I took apart the brakes and lubed stuff up--and that's when the noises started! Guess I should have left well enough alone... I made sure to put the pads back into the same places and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back