New Rig....OCI ? and oil type

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been awhile, probably a couple years since I've posted, but just purchased a new ride. Decided to part with my 01 Frontier CC and picked up a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport.

First impressions...light years above the 3.8 as far as I'm concerned. I actually went w/o a car for a couple months because I read about the 3.6 and the 5 spd auto for the Wranglers and just thought I'd kick myself if I bought one with the old pig 3.8. Glad I waited.

So...to my questions....after reading the manual something struck me as a little odd. I realize that the days of 3k OCI's are pretty much a thing of the past unless you just like to, however unless I read the manual wrong, it tells me my first OCI is at 8k. I kind of got excited about this, but then wondered...is that a good idea for an engine I got with less than 10 miles on the odometer?

Second, would anyone know what they dumped in the engine from the factory?
I will also scour the site for reviews on the 3.6 and synthetic, as I'm more apt to run snythetic as I did on my truck. I typically ran M1 in the past but I'm not opposed to something different. Any recommendations?

I guess that's actually 3 questions...thanks for indulging me.

Questions like this get asked 2-3 times a week. Half the people will tell you to change it early, some people would say wait.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Questions like this get asked 2-3 times a week. Half the people will tell you to change it early, some people would say wait.

Yeah, no offense, but this does get asked very frequently. Here's a post from a few days ago:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2402711#Post2402711

Bottom line is: do whatever helps you sleep better at night. If it means dumping FF as soon as you bring the vehicle home from the dealer, so be it.

Also, congrats on a new ride, NissanFan!

As far as your what type of oil was used at the factory, Mopar oils are manufactured by SOPUS (Shell, Pennz, QS) at least on the service fill side.

From hauling parts and supplies to assembly plants (primarily GM and Ford) for over two decades (not for the last 4 years though), the oil they would put in the final assembled engine is whatever bid comes in that is the lowest in price and meets the classification standard. There is generally no brand loyalty by auto makers regarding oils and lubes except on some higher end vehicles. Cost is the major concern.

Regarding the Wrangler, I still wish they had stayed with the 4.0 inline six engine. That was a real solid performer. I have a diesel in my '06 Liberty and a 4.0 inline six in a 2001 Cherokee. That 4.0 reminds me of the days of the Dodge slant six engines and how they would go on and on and on.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Regarding the Wrangler, I still wish they had stayed with the 4.0 inline six engine. That was a real solid performer. I have a diesel in my '06 Liberty and a 4.0 inline six in a 2001 Cherokee. That 4.0 reminds me of the days of the Dodge slant six engines and how they would go on and on and on.

I agree with your comments on 4.0 durability and love the inline sixes.

From what I've read, the tools to make the 4.0 were worn out and it would have cost almost as much to retool for it as it would to develop a new engine. There were also issues with meeting the new emissions standards.

To OP:

I'm one of the ones that will suggest changing. On a new vehicle I typically let the FF go 500 miles. Then dino for 1500, then dino for 3000. After this first 5000 miles it's synthetic, frequently enough to maintain the warranty.

My reasoning is that initially there is still assembly material in the engine - there have been several UOAs here on new engines which showed high silicates from the machining process. Doing a few quicker than usual oil changes will remove that material.

Last edited:
I appreciate the responses, and yes I completely understand that was a newbie question, one that I probably should have done some more research on and normally would have. I suppose I was having a lazy day.

I know that a lot of people and old Jeep diehards grumbled when they retired the I-6, but hey same thing happened when Ford went away from the 5.0 in the Mustangs awhile back as well. Progress happens and if you make an engine with better fuel economy and more power, eh...I won't hate on it. The only gripe that I have is that I wish the US had the option to get the diesel 4 banger that is available in the Wrangler around the rest of the world.

I will say that I'm probably going to wait for the first OCI, I probably won't make it to 8000 miles like manual suggests, but it also indicates 6 mo/8000 miles. I'm only at 2800 now and I've had the Jeep for a little over 3 months.

I would dump it between 3 and 4k. maybe a little earlier. Then i would use the lightest reccomended weight in the manual. If Mobil 1 met the specs which im not sure with your application I would use one of their high end synthetics and run till the longest jeep allows for warranty with a Uoa every second or third oil change. When the warranty ran out i would run mobil 1 HM at 7500 Oci's and get a UOA every second or third OC. I would use a mobil 1 ep filter and change it every OC.
Im rocking that combo right now and im impressed with the mobil quality.

That is what I would do.
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back