New rifle for the wife: Savage Axis in .223

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, my wife has been bugging me for some time to get her something to plink with. I had originally intended on a Mossberg semi-auto .22 in pink cammo but the order the local shop has in for them has taken literally forever to come in (it has to have been more than six months at this point). She wanted to go out to the gun store after picking the kids up today so we went. They had a Savage Axis in .243 on the shelf, which I thought wasn't the best choice for a beginner rifle, but it was Muddy Girl cammo, which my wife loved. We himmed and hawed over it for a bit and then the guy behind the counter said that it could be had in .223 and went to check availability. He came back and said he couldn't believe it but they actually had one in stock. Out it came and she wanted it so I bought it.

Came with a cheap Bushnell scope on it, but it is more than adequate for her to plink 100 yards with and I already have plenty of .223 ammo, which is a bonus.

SavageAxis22301.jpg

She's pretty excited now
smile.gif
Hopefully we'll be able to take it out Sunday to play with!

Nice! Savage rifles are VERY hard to beat. I love the Muddy Girl camo.....as the girls in my family get older, I've noticed things turning pink....firearms, ear muffs, shooting glasses, etc.

They are good cheap reliable rifles for their price. Never owned one myself (grew up with marlin's and glennfields) as a young child but still. Very nice gun

Nice! For the money Savage rifles are tough to beat, extremely accurate, and a great platform for a switch barrel rifle.....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Nice! For the money Savage rifles are tough to beat, extremely accurate, and a great platform for a switch barrel rifle.....

Nice, never thought of that. If that were mine I would get a 300 black out barrel threaded for a suppressor but I don't know if the OP can legally own something like that. But a switch barrel does make it a very tasty treat either way.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What environment does pink camo blend you into?

Teens at the mall? lol

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What environment does pink camo blend you into?

Redneck baby shower? LOL

LOL!!

Originally Posted By: CT8
223 is a great caliber.

Sure is! I have a Savage 10 Precision Carbine in .223 that is a fantastic rifle. My shooting buddy has a Ruger Mini-14 target, also a wonderful gun.

And of course ammo is a heck of a lot cheaper than .338LM, LOL!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CT8
While I am impressed with 338 lapua I enjoy 223/5.56.

Yeah, the LM is a great rifle for putting holes in things (like hard drives!) but at $3.20/shot it is a bit pricey. I've found .308 and .223 to be a lot cheaper to shoot (particularly .223) and even .270 isn't badly priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back