New riding lawn mowers around 1500$

As things are now,we've been using a used Craftsman 1500 lt riding lawn mower. Recently been thinking about making a move to a new rider either this year or next year. What's the best option for a budget riding mower.

My old JD 757 will be getting repowered when it finally gives up. It’s at 2600 hours and I only expect a couple more years at best. They are very robust machines and very simple. Way easier to work on than the models that replaced the 7 series

If you want something that will last, you have two options.
Option one: Save about another $1500, then go shopping. The cost of anything new that will last is about 3K. That will get you the low end X series Deere or the comparable Cub Cadet.
Option two: shop the used market and see what you can find that is not tailored to the big box stores and has dealer support. Decent buys can be had with some diligence.

How much are you mowing?

I have an acre to cut. My Husqvarna shows no wear. Runs and cuts like new. This will be the 5th summer. I sharpened the blades last spring.

Big box mowers may not be "quality" but I would have gained nothing by spending twice as much.

If the deck is decent on the craftsman it would probably be worth just doing some maintenance on it and driving on.. That said I mowed over 2 acres for 15yrs with a $1000 murray 42in rider before the transmission croaked. My folks replaced it with another $1000 walmart Murray and that one is still going. If you are mowing a normal yard I don't see any reason for buying a commercial level machine myself..

I ended up trading an old boat for a zero turn JD (lowes grade) and after you have a zero turn there is no going back. If I was buying new I'd definitely get a zero turn.

Something used like a Deere, Gravely or Simplicity that's clean and has a welded mower deck instead of a stamped deck. They will be hard to find now that spring is upon us. For my 3/4 acre yard I have a 2011 Snapper lawn tractor (24 HP Briggs and 48" stamped deck) that has served me very well but only gets about 25 hours usage a year.

What is the lifespan of a lousy mower vs good? in terms of amortizing the cost over the expected time of usage.
Good question. I paid $4,500 for my new John Deere LX188 with a 48” deck in 1998, a lot of money for a mower back then. However going into the 23rd year of ownership the only repair it has needed is a hydro pulley/fan that cost $100. Original drive and deck belts, original deck bearings etc. I’m thinking I’m ahead as far as cost of ownership over 23 years. OP, if you can find a clean used JD LX series in the $1,000 to $1,500 range I’d jump on it. Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:
My friend has a JD X320, purchased used @ the JD dealer. I would look @ something like that before getting a new budget one.

Kawasaki motor, spin on filter. I believe I will die before it does.

The question pops up fairly often here and there's lots of opinions and experiences.

If you truly are going to find and purchase a riding mower at this price point, try to get one that is made by the Husqvarna group and not by MTD. Husqvarna group machines can have Sears/Craftsman names on them, Ariens and many others.

The twin blade 42" deck is a good one and try to get one with gauge wheels on the deck if possible. They can be bolted on later if need be. Gear drive or hydrostatic isn't going to matter at this price point. They're both going to be light duty. I would avoid anything that's belt and variator / transmatic drive. They're built to look like a gear or hydrostatic drive but they are not. They'll typically have one lever for F-N-R and another for "gears" or have a pedal to "go".

Engine choice doesn't really matter in this price range.

Who knows,I might have to just get this Craftsman fixed up and run it.

New just sounds great about now 😉

Who knows,I might have to just get this Craftsman fixed up and run it.

New just sounds great about now 😉
What's the problem with it? B&S motors are good, Kohler oven better. A little love to the motor that's 50% of work. With maybe $100 in to the deck and a can of craftsman red rattle can paint and that thing will shine like new.

What's the problem with it? B&S motors are good, Kohler oven better. A little love to the motor that's 50% of work. With maybe $100 in to the deck and a can of craftsman red rattle can paint and that thing will shine like new.

Rebuilding the mower deck with new spindles and blades. The deck has some minor rust issues that I'll fix also. The wiring needs some minor work as well. I'll fix it up,run it for another year then get something else newer.

I bought a used Cub Cadet 108 in 1978. Had a Kohler 10hp on it. Mowed 6 acres with it and plowed garden and snow. Rebuilt it one time and replaced the clutch and the generator starter regulator. Still runs great and it is my sons mower now. Deck had all grease fittings on spindles and front wheel hubs. Those were the days. Kohler motor was all ball or roller bearings with splash lube.

I bought a used Cub Cadet 108 in 1978. Had a Kohler 10hp on it. Mowed 6 acres with it and plowed garden and snow. Rebuilt it one time and replaced the clutch and the generator starter regulator. Still runs great and it is my sons mower now. Deck had all grease fittings on spindles and front wheel hubs. Those were the days. Kohler motor was all ball or roller bearings with splash lube.
I just sold a 2005 John Deere LT150 that was like that. Grease fittings on everything. Was a heavy duty machine considering 15hp 38in cut.. it was just one I fixed to sell, but was impressed with it. I listed it for $475 and it was gone in a day

Back