new ride in the stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just scored an 05 Honda Accord Lx withe every bell and whistle ,,,nice car garage keep adult driven all hiway miles by a friends wife both retired ,, maint up to date and always done by a reputable shop .

It has the Honda V-6 in it and I was looking at my oil stash and can I get away with running a 5w30 full synthetic in it ???

My buddy doesn't even know what kind of oil runs in the car he takes it to the shop

my research says 5w20 ,,, but I have a crapload of 5w30 for my other vehicles

opinions please and thank you my fellow BITOG members

5w30 syn and you have access to citgo syn where you are
wink.gif

PP or QS Syn is my vote

Originally Posted by Onetor
Perhaps u can use 5W30 for summer and 5W20 in winter!

What's the difference between running a 5w30 in the summer and 5w20 in the winter? If the 30 weight is fine at operating temperature in the summer why isn't it fine running at the same operating temperature in the winter?

Thankd

First of all, if its an LX it doesn't have every bell and whistle since the LX is the base model (save for the value edition). Yes, you can run 5w30 since you are trying to rid your stash, but I would only run it in the warmer months.

It's a 13 year old car in great shape. I'd run whatever oil I had on hand in it. Don't think the engine will car. My Rav4 calls for 5W30. Been running 10W40 in it for the past 100,000 miles.

Honda even used to state in all requirements that 5w-30 is ok to use if 5w-20 is not available so it is a fuel mileage deal. They used to put this out when 5-20 was new to the market and didn't want people freaking out because it will not do any harm to your engine and plenty of newer Honda/ Acura engine still used 5-30 also to keep oil burning down.

Originally Posted by JeepWJ19
Originally Posted by Onetor
Perhaps u can use 5W30 for summer and 5W20 in winter!

What's the difference between running a 5w30 in the summer and 5w20 in the winter? If the 30 weight is fine at operating temperature in the summer why isn't it fine running at the same operating temperature in the winter?

Thankd

I believe to get the engine up to operating temps faster for short trips which will amount to less fuel and/or water (condensation)dilution

Stude53 I do and I have a crap load of Citgo Supergard full syn and QSUD 5w30 in my stash , Blanes has been good to me
Thank You for the reply

Last edited:
satin Silver I will get it in the shop next week end to go through the trans and put a new battery in it as the battery in it is 4 years old and living in the chicago area that is about the end of the serviceable life of a car battery

If I was sitting on a ton of 5w-30 Id run it. Or blend it with a 20wt of the same brand.

Originally Posted by Nitronoise
Stude53 I do and I have a crap load of Citgo Supergard full syn and QSUD 5w30 in my stash , Blanes has been good to me
Thank You for the reply

You could check out AAP for clearance PP qnd MS5K oil also.

With the cold Chicago winters the 5w-20 would make for easier starting (thinner oil). The 5w-30 starts easily too in the winter. The whole idea with the 5w-20 was all EPA driven to force automakers to squeeze out more mpg.
All that being said if you are sitting on a stash of 5W-30.
Go got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back