New regional airline startup beginning at the end of April

It'a called Avelo Airline and its primary airport is Hollywood Burbank (formerly Bob Hope) Airport. All the airports they're flying to seem to be either secondary or small town airports, such as Phoenix-Mesa, Charles Schultz-Sonoma County, and Ogden. All 737-800s and only starting with 3.

bg-avelo-conus-route-map-desktop.png

Kind of reminds me of the old joke a stand up comic told about People Express Airlines. They start from sort of where you want and get to sort of where you want to go. I think the example at the time was that instead of getting the passenger from San Francisco to New York, they went from Oakland to Newark. However - those are major airports even if they're not the biggest airports in their .

Last edited:
I think it should read "all 737-800" instead of 747.

As a guy who flies 8-12 flights per week (on a flight at 30,000 feet at the moment)... I would avoid this airline at all cost. 29" seat pitch. More leg room in the trunk of a Yugo than on this airline. Another airline racing to the bottom of how to exploit the consumer while provide a most uncomfortable flight and overall experience.

Going to retire in 2024 and plan to never fly again- unless Astro buys a two seater fighter (maybe a MiG 29?) and is offering free flights.....

Last edited:
All 747 for a regional airline? My airport can’t even land a 747 I don’t think. I’d be surprised if some of those smaller airports could.

EDIT: after reading the article I guess the OP meant 737-800. That makes way more sense. 🙂

Last edited:
All 747 for a regional airline? My airport can’t even land a 747 I don’t think I’d be surprised if some of those smaller airports could.

EDIT: after reading the article I guess the OP meant 737-800. That makes way more sense. 🙂
Well, if you aren’t close to a international
Airport then wonder why a 747 can’t land there. Do you know anything about aviation?

I work at a international airport and see C-17, C-5 and KC10 and KC 135 land and take off daily

Airport then wonder why a 747 can’t land there. Do you know anything about aviation?

I work at a international airport and see C-17, C-5 and KC10 and KC 135 land and take off daily
Yes sorry I left out a period there. I went back and added it. I think one could land at my airport since one runway is long enough but the shop is in the way for its wingspan.

So.... is there in fact a international airport near you or are you just avoiding that easy question?

No way in hades a 747 could land safely at a “county/regional” airport FYI

So.... is there in fact a international airport near you or are you just avoiding that easy question?

No, I answered it I thought. Closest international airport to me I think is Greensboro or Dulles. Runway 6/24 at my airport is 6,800 feet long it’s the longest one we have 2 runways 4 if you talk opposite directions.

A C-17 can take off and land on about 3000 ft. Part of why it's around is for access to smaller runways or where runways are partially damaged.

And some regional airport have very long runways. Especially ones that are joint use with military.

N
A C-17 can take off and land on about 3000 ft. Part of why it's around is for access to smaller runways or where runways are partially damaged.

And some regional airport have very long runways. Especially ones that are joint use with military.
A C17 can land on a dirt landing strip. Very awesome aircraft.... No paved runway required.

I took what he said as meaning that a 747 could not land. I could be wrong.

Me, I love the convenience of flying, but also have a case of nimby. Don't want a lot of huge jet's flying into the smaller airports near me. I'll gladly drive to the bigger airports when I need to go longer distance and use the puddle jumpers when I need to go shorter.

Edit to add: I used to live in Valley Stream NY and had jet's constantly overhead so I have experience with it. Never again.

A C-17 can land at my airport I just went on Flickr to an old retired ATC page from my airport that I’ve talked too a few times and he has several military planes on there a C-17 and many more I could of swore there was a 747 military plane on there somewhere but maybe not it was before they updated the airport and put the garage next to the runway so they had more room for their wingspan.

As someone who has worked for an airline, this will go one of two ways. First if they're receiving government funding, which has happened with a few smaller airlines, I think botique air is one, they might do ok. Several smaller airlines have catered to nice markets and have survived. They serve underserved smaller airports, for communities without access to a major airport. Or two, they won't last long, even though the 737-800 is very efficient those markets don't look like major areas with enough traffic. Granted the gate leases and landing fees if there are any should be cheap.

Interesting. They must have gotten a deal on those 738s. A lot of seats when you consider some of those destinations like Medford or Bend. Alaska serves those now with either Embraers or Q-400’s.

Back