New regional airline startup beginning at the end of April

What a cool plane. I mostly was in C-130 and C-141 but one time got a ride in a C-5. So HUGE

Did a walk through of a C-5 at Thunder Over Solano in 2014. But the KC-10 was more interesting since they let us sit in the refueling station and in the cockpit seats. Travis Air Force Base also has a 3500 ft assault strip, which I supposed they use for short runway practice.

The C-17 (Spirit of Kamehameha) is featured in the beginning of the movie Aloha landing at Hickam/Honolulu International. I'm wondering if sterile cockpit rules apply to military pilots on approach, but these guys are absolutely talking trash to each other in the cockpit. I'm not even sure that a civilian passenger (even if he is a retired officer and former colleague of the pilot) would be allowed to just waltz into the cockpit. It also painted these (male) Air Force officers as overaged frat boys.

I took what he said as meaning that a 747 could not land. I could be wrong.

Me, I love the convenience of flying, but also have a case of nimby. Don't want a lot of huge jet's flying into the smaller airports near me. I'll gladly drive to the bigger airports when I need to go longer distance and use the puddle jumpers when I need to go shorter.

Edit to add: I used to live in Valley Stream NY and had jet's constantly overhead so I have experience with it. Never again.

No - typo. You know - the 4 is right next to the 3?

We get NIMBYs everywhere. Especially residential areas that were built around general aviation airports. Also major airports and even some military bases. I was looking up this sort of thing. I think the neighbors were relieved that the Navy left NAS Moffett Field, but the feds kept is as a "federal airfield" for access to NASA Ames Research Center, and they've allowed some civilians to use it, such as Google. MCAS Mirimar gets quite a few complaints. I heard when it was NAS Mirimar, they got a lot of complaints when the pilot "buzzed the tower" a few times, thinking that someone was trying out an insane, career-ending stunt. Also at a civilian airport (Brown Field) in San Diego used for military flights.

Just the other day I heard some noise and jumped out of my house to see a couple of F-15s flying overhead. Sounded like a training flight from Nellis AFB. Maybe transiting through Lemoore or Fallon.

As someone who has worked for an airline, this will go one of two ways. First if they're receiving government funding, which has happened with a few smaller airlines, I think botique air is one, they might do ok. Several smaller airlines have catered to nice markets and have survived. They serve underserved smaller airports, for communities without access to a major airport. Or two, they won't last long, even though the 737-800 is very efficient those markets don't look like major areas with enough traffic. Granted the gate leases and landing fees if there are any should be cheap.

They're trying to compete on cost. Not even the Spirit model with lower fares but fees up the wazoo, but also lower fees.

Obviously Burbank is well situated. I know a few people living in the area who prefer that to any other airport in the area based on convenience and better traffic. Mesa, Santa Rosa, and Ogden are close enough to major airports. All the other airports served aren't terribly busy.

Obviously Burbank is well situated.
I flew into Burbank once about 10 years ago. Nice small airport and easy to get in and out of it. I was laughing though at the baggage carousel, which was located OUTSIDE of the terminal. Never seen that before.

Back