new red line owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed that. It's strange that these oil companies do not list who their corporate owners are on their website (at least that I could easily find).

The tech guys would have trouble keeping up with some goings on in some of these companies.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I must have missed that. It's strange that these oil companies do not list who their corporate owners are on their website (at least that I could easily find).

Maybe boutique requires mystique......
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
I got a confirmation today from red line that it is now owned by conoco phillips. dave said this has a lot of positives.

Better distribution, more brick and mortar store availability?? (I HOPE!)

Besides the possibility of a greater choice of base stocks and add packs, of course.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I got a confirmation today from red line that it is now owned by conoco phillips. dave said this has a lot of positives.

Besides the possibility of a greater choice of base stocks and add packs, of course.
wink.gif

Are you a marketing guy?

Greater choice of base stocks --- translation opportunity to put lower quality junk in the formulation.

Last edited:
I'm still a fan of a number of RL products and use them.
That said, many of their street oils have been "watered down" in terms of reduced ZDDP and to a certain extent moly levels. Also the POE content
it's suspected has been reduced.
Whether COP ownership is the reason I don't know.

Are you even able to find the stuff in your neck of the woods, CATERHAM? Canadian Tire yanked the stuff. A local speed shop has it, but beyond that, I doubt I could find it. The SI-1 is at a local parts store, but that's the only Red Line product they seem to carry.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I see this as a positive.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
That said, many of their street oils have been "watered down" in terms of reduced ZDDP and to a certain extent moly levels. Also the POE content

I'd rather have a more modern additive system in some of RL's oils. Most cars on the road today do not need high levels of ZDP and in fact it can be harmful. (Not just emmissions but with certain aluminum). Also, the type of moly RL uses is not as good as teh trinuclear type.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I'd rather have a more modern additive system in some of RL's oils. Most cars on the road today do not need high levels of ZDP and in fact it can be harmful. (Not just emmissions but with certain aluminum). Also, the type of moly RL uses is not as good as teh trinuclear type.

From a marketing standpoint RL directs its efforts primarily at competition. As such they are not so concerned with catalytic converters in late model OBDII/high tier vehicles. The question might be could that role be better addressed by transtioning to trinuclear moly or titanium for instance? To do so might help render RL "me too" without gaining enough benefit from that change in the market.

As to base stock proportions/changes we BITOGers chase our tales a lot because we only conduct rudimentary spectrograhic analysis. Without further insight into product formulation many, if not most of these oils, are too similar to really matter or indeed to pick among them.

^ Great points.

I personally would like to see a lower SA/ZDP version of RL for street use but as you said, their market is aimed at the high performance crowd.

My new philosophy is to run illegally (not street legal) high levels of zddp. I believe the calcs used to determine poisoning of cats are based in conservative levels of oil consumption such as a quart per 600-1000 miles. Most engines consume 3 to 8 times less. A zddp level three times modern limits won't be a problem. These racing oils have levels in the 2000 range.

I'd like to run an ester to keep the rope seal expanded in the old car. Mobil 1 caused it to gush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back