New Ranger, shift quality questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove my father 02 Ranger yesterday, I find it's not near as notchy as mine, again though I'm comparing apples to oranges. His has a 3.0L/M5OD-R1 mine is 4.0L/M5OD-R1HD, his truck has 120K kms, mines new. JTK probably nailed it, I have to rember it's a truck not a car. I think the issue is more with the driver than the truck. Later in the day I picked my wife in our 03 ION, after not having driven it in a couple of weeks, it feels light to clutch and shift. Like I mentioned I'll leave alone for the time being. I ahev no intention of putting anything but Mercon V in it while it's under warranty should their be an issue.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Probably just newness and what you're used to. Let it break in for a few thousand miles and then switch the gear lube to synthetic. That's what I did in my Tacoma.
Also, going into reverse, it helps if you double clutch. e.i., let the clutch out in the neutral position on the way to reverse and re-clutch and put it into reverse--rather than going from a forward gear directly into reverse.
Hope this helps.

Good advise. I'm old school and always go into first, then reverse, never a grind never, a problem. In a new vehicle you shouldn't have to do that, but it is old habit of mine and it eliminates any kind of grind or hang ups.

Question: How much thicker is the Red Line MTL compared to the ATF Ford calls for? I'm considering it for my M5OD in my 88 E-150. Thanks

Last edited:
Thes was posted by Molakule:

Current MTL GL4 viscosites are:

1. ATF Series - Type; 6.5 to 8.5 cSt (Equivalent ATF viscosity; Note: ATF additive package is weak compared to most GL 4's)
2. Synchromesh Series -Type; 9.3 - 9.5 cSt (such as Amsoils MTF, Texaco's MTL, Pennzoil's Synchromesh, GM and Chrysler's Synchromesh)
3. 75W85 Series-Type; 9.8 to 11.5 cSt ( Redline's MTL, RP's Synchromax LT, Nissan's MTL, Honda MTL, Castrol Syntorq LT)
4. 75W90 Series-Type; 12.8 to 14.5 cSt (Amsoil's MTG, Redline's MT-90).

MTL specific lubes we're developed for manual tranny's and transaxles, and not for differentials or industrial gear boxes.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Ford has a special brew they use in the Focus 5spd. Part number XT-M5-QS. Great stuff, might want to give it a try. Its expensive though, roughly $15 a quart...though it is synthetic, and should last a long time (lifetime fill in the focus, yada yada).

If you can get it it's over $20/qt here in northern NJ
crazy2.gif
. I used it and it shifted the same as the RP Synchromax I have in there now for about $8/qt.

Whimsey

Give it some time to break in.

Every manual transmission vehicle I have driven shifts differently. The M5OD is definitely not a refined transmission compared to what you find in many cars. Once your transmission gets older and shifts more like your dad's '02, you may get the third gear grind that many M5ODs develop. It's just kind of a crude transmission. Keep it filled with the correct fluid and it will last forever though.

Be careful using thicker fluid in the M5OD. I always used ATF without problems in my '01 Ranger. Some of the specialty manual transmission fluids should work fine, but there are splash lubricated bearings in the M5OD that can be trashed by gear oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back